Precision pick guard sourcing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bobicidal, Mar 21, 2014.

1. bobicidal

bobicidal Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Don't have it yet but just bought a Fender American Special with white pick guard which has to go. Where can source these and is the layout different? I am guessing not every Fender P has the same shape, pup and screw hole layout.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You can get one at your local guitar center, or other music store that sells parts that will fit fine, depending on what color you want.
  3. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    Now that you mention it I remember someone buying a bass and asking for a different PG and the rep said he had some in the back. Are these things priced reasonable or like $50?
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Any American Standard/Standard guard will fit. I recommend using them or WD to ensure a correct fit. I'd advise buying anything off eBay that is not "Genuine Fender". Steer clear of the Roadworn/50's style guards as they will have a slightly different mounting pattern. TB classifieds is another good place to look.
  7. chinmullet

chinmullet

8. 4bassjohn

4bassjohn

Dollar for dollar, going through Fender is your best bet. Musicians Friend does sell some Fender Pbass pick guards if you want to compare prices. What are you looking for anyways? I have a black/white/black guard from Warmoth that still has the protective coating on it. You can have it if that's what you want.
  9. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    You may laugh but i was thinking a matte red
  10. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    This looks great. I was drooling over this model in GC and it played great. I am hoping the one on the way to me plays that nice. For this bass I think you chose a great PG. Well done!

For this band they don't want pretty. They didn't like my Lull MV5 in Olympic White with Tort PG! But it got the job done.

Thank you for tip on 13 holes and rod slot.

Can't wait to have my first P-bass!
  11. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Oly white and tort is too flashy? What do they want you to play, a rubber band on a stick?
  12. chinmullet

chinmullet

I wouldn't say my FSR honey P is pretty. It's basically just wood and chrome. There are no inlays/blocks, no binding, no fancy glittery paint, gold hardware, etc.

If anything, it looks a little basic/primitive when sitting in a group with with my other basses - which is what I like about it most, next to the neck. :)
  13. OrangeGlow

OrangeGlow

Media:
    Albums:
    Does anyone know how interchangeable the pickguards are for Precision basses?

I have a 1974 Precision that has a black Schecter pickguard from that era.

I really love the brown tortiois Fender pickguard Model #0992175000, but it is listed as being a 13-Hole Modern-Style Precision Bass Pickguard.

Do you think the screw holes, pickup holes, neck pocket, etc. would match my 1974 Precision?
  14. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    Bringing this back in case someone wondered: I got a black one from Amazon for $19.60. Link below. It was 13-hole and fit perfectly on the American Special. I used a sharpie black out the white stripe. it has an odd black matte finish which feels almost like sticky wax paper which I thought might be a thin plastic cover but does not seem to want to come off. There were a few little scratches in it as delivered. I left it on as I want the bass to be blacked out and matte vs reflective, I like it. I took a Sharpie to the screws, too, LOL
    Fender 099-1352-000 Standard Precision Bass Pickguard,13 Hole, 3-Ply - Black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RW2DLA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  15. AGH

AGH Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    I'm pretty sure that the factory plastic overlay is still covering your pickguard. Some fingernail picking at the corners should help you lift the plastic, and you will be rewarded with a beautiful gloss finish.
    bobicidal likes this.
  16. bobicidal

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds great but I don't want the gloss. :)

I'll let the next owner peel it off.
    AGH likes this.