1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

precision pickup inside soapbar shell?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

I love the PJ configuration, my all time favorite pickups are the duncans vintage (spb1 and sjb1), there is something about the pj combo that it just sounds the best for me. The thing is that recently it was given to me a bass with two humbuckers (emg hz) and honestly humbuckers are not for me and I don't like active pickups either.

I know I could stick a sjb 1 into a soapbar shell easily, which is the jazz pickup. But I don't know how to do with the split coil pickup

Any ideas? All suggestions will be appreciated

2. awamori

awamori

EMG have EMG Extended Series P and J soapbars.

Though you hate actives your best opting is to get a luthier to fill in the pickup cavities and reroute the bass for the P/J pickups.

3. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Nordstrand Big Splits, although they're smaller than the EMG's (Bart size).

4. ex-tension

ex-tension

I know what you mean but to clarify things: split P is also a humbucker. I think what you don't like is dual coil humbuckers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. winegamd

winegamd

Bartollini has a couple models. Aero would make you some.

7. line6man

line6man

All humbuckers are dual coil.

In any case, a split coil P pickup will not fit a soapbar casing. It probably would not fit a MM casing, either. Unless you wanted to try to modify the geometry to make it as small as possible. In that case, you could fit a MM casing, there is is still no possible way to get it into a soapbar casing.

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

9. B String

B String Supporting Member

Get a hold of the Nordstrand pickup guys. They do magic when it comes to putting pickups in places you wouldn't think they could.

10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Aero makes such an animal but keep in mind this will be similar to a P-bass pickup. If you're a purist then there's substitute for the real thing.

[​IMG]

11. ex-tension

ex-tension

So, a split P pickup is not a humbucker?

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

A split P is dual coil, so therefore a humbucker.

13. line6man

line6man

Right. Any time there are two coils that are RWRP, and of reasonably equal volume, you have a humbucker.

It should go without saying, however, that "humbucker" is an extremely broad categorization of pickup designs, and does not tell you anything more than that a pickup has an even number of coils (Usually two, sometimes four.) that humcancel when used together. The same thing goes for "single coil," "split coil," and "soapbar." Single coil means absolutely nothing more than "pickup with one coil." "Split coil" means any pickup with at least one coil for one or more, but not all, strings, and at least one coil for the remaining strings. (Though it is not often that pickups like Wal's are classified as split coils.) "Soapbar" refers only to a general form factor of pickup housings, with no specification of the actual pickups, themselves.

14. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Being endorsed with Duncan...They will make and can make you a p bass in the soapbar...just call them and their customer service will help you out..

15. line6man

line6man

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but as I've said, it cannot be done. Look at the geometry of each pickup. Your only option would be to do something more like a split coil Jazz pickup. Though, on the other hand, it is arguable that you could create something that is similar in tone, despite having a different pole piece spacing on the Y-axis and a narrower aperture.

16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge

Nordstrand will make their models in EMG-sized custom shells for an upcharge - I've upgraded 3 of my 4 Euro Bolt-On Spectors (fretted 4, fretted & fretless 5s) with EMG "40" (their 5-string designation) sized Big Singles & Aguilar OBP-3SK/PP Preamps... the Big Singles are Custom both in EMG housings and the string-spacing of my Spectors.

I'd second (or third) giving them a call, as Carey and company can & will work with you if it's at all possible. I've actually been meaning to give them a call about this topic as well, as I'm not a "P-Bass" kind-o'-guy but realize it's useful in certain situations... but my favorite Precision, the P/Dual Coil "Deluxe/American Deluxe" models made from '95 to 2008 sells for ridiculous prices on the Used Market and I'd like to replace the "test" EMG 40P5 & DCs in my fourth Spector with Nordy's P5 and DC5 for my "Spector Euro Deluxe Precision" ;) (I'm also not a huge fan of Active EMGs, but had the pickups on hand to see if my Alder/Flame Maple Spector could pass for the American Deluxe's P/DC setup... which it does, in its Active EMG way. :help: :smug: )

17. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

This changes everything. Looks like I don't have to shy away from basses with EMG sized routes any more! :)

18. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

The EMG HB's ARE emg P-bass pickups in a humbucker housing.
    I have A/Bed them to to see if the sound was consistant and it was. The HB definitely sounds more defined like the P, not as full and warmer like a true humbucking pickup. A true humbucking pickup has 2 magnets recieving vibration from the same string, with them being slightly in a different place on the strings vibration(or wave of the harmonic) giving it a fuller, broader sound. Whether you split a single coil (P-Bass) the pickup is still only recieving a single input. P-bass pickups were created to allow phase reversal in a single coil pickup, to get rid of the dreaded hum.

19. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I have asked Duncan about that idea and they told me they could do it...I am just saying what I've been told....doesn't hurt to ask...

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Reverend makes a P in a buck outfit. Specifically the Dub King model. Ask them if they'll sell separately. It's a very strong pup. I has it.
    Never mind you said soap not $.