Precision Pickups spaced wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basshoundx, Apr 2, 2014.

1. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    Well I'm building a precision style bass, and something has been nagging me. I can't help but feel that I made the pickups to close together. The space were the pickups touch is about 1in across, but looking at photos of other basses, I think I may have made it to far apart. I know the strings should lay between two poles, but the pickups I have have the poles covered, so i can't tell.

Did I mess up beyond repair? Or will the bass still be usable? Should I be worrying about it?

I attach a picture of the cavity for my pickups, a picture of normal P-bass pups, and the pickups I'm using.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. hover

hover

Sure looks like you have the coils intersecting at the midpoint...that's not right. It may or may not work, depending on the "sensing window" and whether these are "rail" polepieces.

But yeah, the rout is too narrow as is. You know as they say, measure twice cut once. Plug and re-rout, or get a partial pickguard or bezel like Yamaha does to cover the wrong routs. Did you not have a p-pup template?
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

It does appear you've set them a little too close to center. If the pickups have blades rather than separate pole pieces, you might get away with it. Otherwise it's plug the holes and start over.
  4. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    No, I did not have any sort of template. My teacher didn't want to spend money on the templates when I could "make my own." I measured dozens of times, and it seemed fine at first. But now I'm not sure. I most likely won't be able to plug it, as my teacher won't want to cut it again, plus I won't have time to recut before school ends. So basically I'm screwed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lo-E

Lo-E

Maybe not. If the poles are blades, you might just get away with it.
  7. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    is there any way to tell? And if not, Will it at least make some type of decent sound that will make it usable for a little while? I plan on rerouting and replacing the pickup with a MM style pickup. As soon as I get my own money to do so.
  8. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    well I know GFS redactive are somewhat like EMG p/ups. I found this and the EMG version of the GFS P-bass pickups use rails, so let's hope it's the same story with my pickups.
  9. Lo-E

Lo-E

If you can figure out where the strings cross the pickups, you could wire them up and tap them at those spots with a very small screwdriver or a pin. If the spots where the outside strings will cross are about as loud as the inside strings, you should be fine.
    Keep in mind, though, that it won't be all that scientific. Tapping the poles doesn't really replicate the magnetic field of a vibrating string - it can only tell you if the magnet strength is similar in strength out at the ends of the pickup.

If the outsides sound weaker, you'll almost surely have a problem. In that case, a bigger route and a bezel (or "goof plate", as they are sometimes called) is probably your easiest fix.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that's overstating it.

you want the coils wide enough that each string only goes over one magnetic field, while yours look like the middle strings might hit both at the same time.

that'll change the sound some on those middle strings, but will totally still work.

also, the other concern is the outer strings missing the pickups entirely, but it looks like the neck width is such that they won't.
  11. lz4005

lz4005

Why didn't you make your own then?
    It would have taken 10 minutes with a P bass and a piece of paper.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

I agree with waterw - while your route is not ideal, I'm willing to bet real potatoes that it'll work just fine.
  13. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

They're a bit too close together but will probably work fine.

You could always make a larger route and fire a pick guard on it to cover the mistake if you wanted them to have the standard positioning.
  14. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    I made a MDF template, but the problem was I used plans which weren't accurate, and didn't realize till now. I'm just going to learn from this experience and do it better next time.