Precison vs. Hot Rod Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve Boisen, Apr 11, 2014.

Would you trade the bass on the left for the one on the right?

Poll closed Apr 21, 2014.
  1. Yes

52 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. No

75 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

All other things being equal, would you trade the bass on the left (2011 Fender American Standard Precision) for the bass on the right (2000 Fender American Hot Rod Precision)? Feel free to expand on your answer if you are so inclined.

- Steve

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would like either one of them if you got rid of those duff-ass pickups they have. Anyway, I have a P and a PJ, and the PJ is able to sound like a Jazz when you need it, but in the last year I've rediscovered the joys of playing a Precision with only the P pickup. There's really a whole lot of sounds you can pull out of those things, and while some might find it limiting not to have the J, I'm not one of them, because even when I'm playing the PJ, I leave the J off the majority of the time.

If I could have only one, it would be the PJ because sometimes I do need a proper Jazz bass sound and I can always get a good P sound out of one. Despite some folks' claims to the contrary, I've got the same Geezer Butler P's on both and they sound the same with the P soloed. But it sure is fun to fly solo with a straight-up Precision.

3. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

You gain a pickup my friend. +plus in 20 years it will be vintage. It will take almost 30 years for the 2011 p bass to be vintage

4. SJan3

SJan3

No. I don't care for the PJ concept. They always sounded best with the
    J pup rolled off.
    If you want a jazz, get a jazz. Give me jj over pj any day but I also have a proper p bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Timmah

Timmah

I would trade both for carrots.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I voted no for a couple of reasons. First, IMO the 2011 American Standards are better basses in general. They tend to be lighter, the hardware is better, etc. Also, I tested a couple of those Hot Rods, and I just didn't think they sounded that great with the J pickup rolled in. I think some P/J's work better than others, and I wasn't impressed with those, but maybe different pickups would be the answer.

8. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

I was tempted to include that in my poll. Sorry to disappoint.

- Steve

9. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    I own both basses (or rather a 2000-ish hot rod PJ and a 2009 American Standard), and agree with Jimmy that both guitars suffer from subpar stock pickups.

The hot rod p is built like a tank, we used it for a punk rock band where it got passed around, dropped by the drugged and the drunk -- the thing is durable as hell. Mine has a maple fingerboard. You could buy the trans orange one for as little as $350 less than ten years ago on CL here in LA. Shoulda coulda woulda. Probably run you $600 these days? So vintage or not, the more recent Standard is probably still worth more, at least for the next few years. Then again, the hot rods continue to enjoy a growing (if arguably undeserved) rep. But definitely a rock-solid platform for upgrades such as the Geezer pickups mentioned by Jimmy.

Like Jimmy, I favor one pickup for the joys of exploring how articulate these axes can be depending on finger placement. But many on this board swear by the PJ as the perfect solution to the P vs J dilemma.

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

I have various Precisions, including the HRPB, which I cordially detest. :spit: Lame pickups, worst V/V/T Syndrome in recorded history.

Nice neck, though. :meh:

11. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Bad trade. The 2000-2007 Fender era was the weakest to date. The American Standard on the left is a superior instrument, and has a better burst finish.

12. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    No, because I never like the PJ configuration

13. Shaky

Shaky

The bass on the right looks like it is in some type of store or pawn shop. If they are wanting or willing to trade straight, I would have to ask myself why? Most shops would not be willing to do an open trade if they did not see some benefit for themselves.

I have always liked the idea of the PJ configuration, but I owned a 70s p-bass for a short time (it was originally my brother's, so I traded it back to him as promised.) I have always thought the iconic fender p-bass was one of the most simplest but baddest basses around, and hope to own another one someday.

14. obimark

obimark

I have a P-Bass and I will have a JAzz (Carvin Sb4000 Jazz that is) within 4 weeks or so Carvin tells me.

Nice to have the TRUE form of both. I plan to play one set with the P- one with the Jazz and then switch off.

Point being- sometimes it is best to have somethign that does ONE thing very well, than something that does more than one thing but not as well for each.

15. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

I love P/J's, but feel they need a pickup selector switch, which that one doesn't. Hence, I voted no.

16. Plectrum72

Plectrum72

17. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    No. The P is worth more, and probably better built (not all of the 2000s were bad). Also, I am not a fan of the hot rod P. There are better PJ designs.

18. Root 5

Root 5

I played what I think was a 1999 Hot Rod Precision, through an Ampeg stack and it sounded great! The tone control was very responsive and the J pickup sounded good soloed & combined with the P pickup.

I liked it.

19. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Hmm, I'm kind of surprised that the majority seems to be favoring the "regular" P. Personally, I agree with that sentiment, but still find it a bit surprising since there are a whole lot of P/J lovers here on TB.

I've owned both. I didn't keep the Hot Rod very long, even though it looked great (Sunset Orange Transparent). I always felt that my regular P's just had a better sound. My preference is a regular P or a regular Jazz. Never the twain shall meet. ;)

Actually, that's just a joke because the P/J's definitely have their niche. But having had several of them, I've found that I just prefer a P OR a J. YMMV of course.

21. Artobass

Artobass