1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

(Preferably quick) fix for raw fingertips?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by jillofallbasses, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jillofallbasses

jillofallbasses

Hey guys so I'm not entirely sure how this happened but the enture tip of my left pointer finger is totally raw, as is the center of my pinky as well. I do obsessively pick at my skin, but I've been trying not to... Between that and the dry weather, I guess I've lost a lot of skin there, which now makes playing uncomfortable if not painful, seeing as using first finger is kind of an important thing. Any recommendations for what I can do to help the skin grow back faster or at least protect it until it does? Not practicing is basically not an option (college student with recordings for summer programs due soon ugh). Let me know what you think! Thanks :)
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Developer: iGigBook Sheet Music Manager
    I don't know about a quick fix, but picking at your skin obsessively might mean you need to talk to a professional about that since it's interfering with your ability to engage in an important activity for you.
  3. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Tincture of benzoin. apply, let dry, cover with a glove or bandage and let it sit over night, wash off in the morning, repeat the next night as necessary. that stuff has a way of making skin tougher. and stop picking at your skin. also a good daily moisturizer in the morning goes a long way to keep skin healthy enough to withstand bass playing during the day. avoid anything with petroleum and/or alcohol. hemp oils, coconut oils, jojoba, try to find plant based stuff. plenty of options out there.
  4. jillofallbasses

jillofallbasses

Thanks for your responses! The picking thing is something I've done for a loooong time, but I'm getting better about not doing. I'll catch myself doing it and immediately stop! So that's an improvement for me at least.
    I'll try the benzoin, thanks for that tip. I knew I had heard of something like that before when I was researching how to get side of the thumb callus but I couldn't remember what it was called. Thanks!
  5. David Potts

David Potts

While you are treating your finger tips and continuing to play I hope you are covering them with something. Plastic Bandaids will both put a thin pad to spread the pressure between the string and finger, and allow you to still shift. They probably won't last long so keep a packet in your pocket. Worth a try?
    Best wishes,
    DP
  6. Thumpie

Thumpie

I trim away loose dead skin with fingernail clippers. This stops the habit of picking--and the annoying feeling when you try to use the digit.
  7. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Every bassist should keep New Skin handy at all times. It works miracles. On tour once I reached into my shaving kit and sliced the entire callous off my right hand index (on a society dance gig.) Several applications of New Skin later, everything was perfectly fine for the evening's performance. Also, stop picking at your skin.