Premier Bass Guitars......A BIG THANK YOU!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleevey55, Dec 15, 2013.

1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

I was fortunate enough to Meet these guys a year ago while in Denver. They had a bright clean showroom, tons of very expensive and exotic basses and amps, knowledgeable and honest staff and the employees and owner Dan Basica made you feel like you were "somebody" and truly cared about your experience there. They literally asked me to try out several basses, even though they knew my financial situation. It was obvious from the start that these guys were less interested in selling me something, and more interested in sharing their knowledge and array of instruments for me to play. We talked and visited for nearly 3 hours, all the while, customers (friends of theirs) would show up and just walk in, grab a bass and start playing.......the atmosphere was like Cheers where everybody knows your name, it was a relaxing wonderful place that I really enjoyed being in. I felt as though Id known these guys for years. Some of the players coming in there had astonishing talent, amazing musicians, while here I was, a bass player of 6 years, self taught, and I could hardly play anything that would make anyone notice me....Im just a bass player in a band, not a "bass player". Through it all though, Dan and Eric K. treated me with respect, kindness, and I actually felt comfortable diddling what little basslines I thought sounded good infront of them. They didnt judge me or turn their attention to the other guys in there that were making heavenly sounds on their basses, they just treated me like a friend would if I had gone to their house to try out an instrument. I ended up falling for a Roscoe LG3005 that was heavenly to my ears. It was more than any bass Ive ever bought in my life and Dan knew this. He gave me one price, upfront and to the point, which was a great deal. I told him I'd have to get my finances together and call him in a few weeks. I ended up making a couple payments to Dan, which he was fine with and after my last payment, they shipped the bass along with an extra set of strings.

I know this may sound "everyday" to you all reading this, but there was without a doubt, something special about my visit there that has always made me feel good and smile. Dan is an amazing person and his assistant Eric was awesome too. I learned about a year ago that Dan had cancer per a phone call I had made to them about another bass. I was taken back by the news, and although he was concerned about it, he seemed in high spirits and was determined to make the best of it and stay positive. He stated he had great people there at the store and in his family to help see him through.

Its with great sadness that Dan's cancer became untreatable and terminal over the last year. As of November 30th 2013, Premier Bass Guitars in Superior Colorado has closed its doors for health reasons. The community of bass players and musicians, not only in the surrounding area , but nation wide has lost an irreplaceable store, staff and owner. Truly gentlemen and enthusiasts of any and everything bass related.

I have found in my 42 years of life that every now and then something special and significant happens to all of us that makes a mark on us.....a positive impression. It seems simple and irrelevant, but....it isnt. That was my experience with Dan Basica and his store. Ive never in my life felt so welcome, spoiled and important as I did that fall afternoon in his store. What a great human being you are Dan, you touched my life that day and for that, I am forever grateful. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I wish you and your family the best through your journey.

2. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Wonderful there, both employees and customers. Could not ask for nicer people

Prayers out to Dan and his family

3. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Met Ric5 Jeff there one day, too. Thanks for your string input, enjoyed looking at your beautiful Ric

4. OnederTone

OnederTone Sucker for Sunburst Supporting Member

Steve- Those are such unbelievably kind words, thank you so much. I know Dan and I and the rest of the guys (and Kellye) were so glad we got to meet each and everyone of you that came to PBG. It was a wonderful experience and I've made so many good friends...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Eric, driving around the Superior area I keep thinking I should drop by the store, then I realize it is no more. It's a sad feeling, but a bunch of good memories. And, I have a fair amount of the store inventory in my basement ;)

Dan is one in a million. Everyone in the store was always supportive, and the beginner right to the very top level pro could feel comfortable there. Like I said, lots of good memories.

7. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I ordered a Lakland 4401 from Premier earlier this year. I had issues with the neck. Ended up taking it to a local luthier for a setup. He determined it had a "rise" in it and would need fret leveling (this was a brand new instrument). Dan took it back for a full refund plus he sent me 2 sets of strings to make up for what I paid the tech!

Definitely a class act.

8. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

I never got to shop there but have been in the shop....looked like a GREAT place!

Thoughts and prayers out to Dan...

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Ditto. Fighting any form of cancer is difficult itself. My prayers for his family & friends.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

+1

11. coolet5

coolet5