1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Premier Guitar - Bass Setup Article

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MetroBass, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
  2. Thumpy Fenda 5

Thumpy Fenda 5

3. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

Appreciated. Good article.

Marc
  4. 1bassleft

1bassleft

If visual/physical learning s more your bag, John Carruthers has a nice 4-step Yootoob instructional. This links to part 1; truss rod and just go through the next three for bridge height, nut filing and intonation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te44eWXd9pc
  5. H3nchman

H3nchman

Do the measurements change for a 24 fret bass?
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    those videos were great
  7. 1bassleft

1bassleft

I have 21, 22 + 24 fretters. With the Carruthers videos, I personally don't get too hung up on the inch fractions. I just follow the steps in the same order, hold the string at 1st fret and body join (ca 15th) and use the mk 1 eyeball. Similarly for saddle height (nut filing is not my competence). Perhaps I'd get a better result with more diligence, but it's still a good improvement on practically every bass on arrival chez moi.
  8. bobsbarricades

bobsbarricades

Hey...so having some issues maybe you guys can help me solve?

1) To clarify, if I have inconsistent frets that buzz, frets above the fretted note, that's what exactly?

2) I've got an Ibanez GSR206 and the intonation is such that I can't adjust the bridge saddles far enough forward. The screw detaches from the saddle @_@

3) The high C string's screw won't seem to turn...solutions on losening this guy up?

I have a metal meter stick and it looks like there's a bit of relief in the neck. Or at least my understanding of it. There's a slight bow backwards from 3rd to 15th fret. I figure if I straighten this out I'll probably help the intonation problem, yea? I open up the plate to access the truss rod and see ther are TWO! Umm..I'm not the best at this thing so what do I need to know when adjust two truss's? It's lefty-losey to straighten out a bend like I describe correct? I need the headstock to pull back a bit...right?

Thanks!

edit - bonus! The high c also seems to not get enough pressure from the string to stay down. I could raise the action but in all honesty I want to go lower...maybe I'm just bad at adjust it? I'm not a fan of these bridge types at all... any cheap string-through-body bridges out there?