1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Preparation

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by lovethegrowl, Mar 19, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Hi Tony,

I am new to the "Ask a Pro" segment. You may have been asked this before, so I apologize for being redundant. As a pro, do you ever encounter musical situations that are somehow exotic, out of the norm enough so that you can't readily adapt to the situation, such that you feel the need to go home and work on the material? Say, with John Mclaughlin, have you ever found the musical idiom foreign enough so that you need to spend time on your own working out improvisational patterns?

2. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hi there I encounter that every night :) With Hiromi, Fuze, McLaughlin or whoever. It's really an open playing field.
    I practice in a way that really prepares me as much as possible for these situations. I feel it's so important to have a big picture within your practice schedule but being able to use whatever you are working on at the time organically into your playing. Trusting your ears and musicality to get you through the moments you are not so strong on.
    Over time you fill in the gaps so you can take everything to a whole new level.

Your ears and knowledge are always growing and developing.
    Our goals are always ahead of us and changing all the time. So I'm always trying to push for more.

3. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I guess I'm wondering just how much latitude one might get in a rehearsal with McLaughlin. Just how tolerant they might be in an initial rehearsal, then how much you have to be able to assimilate (& improve) in a relatively short time.

4. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

P. S. I have heard that McLaughlin doesn't read music. If that's the case it must be very hard to convey some of those very complex musical ideas. In those particular situations having efficient practice sessions has to be a challenge. Do you ever record rehearsals in order to bring it home & expound on new material?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    McLaughlin reads for sure. He is very honest in his critiques which I really love. He allows you the freedom but then will tell you when he doesn't like something. It's amazing.
    I don't really record rehearsals as it would take to long to listen through and prepare.
    I think you have to trust yourself and understand your path to progress. You can't fix stuff overnight. But you can change your mindset. Which it usually always is.