Prescott Fan Club

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by drurb, Mar 21, 2012.

1. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I don't have one, but I'm a fan. Anybody out there have one and willing to post pics?
  2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

I played a really nice one at david gages shop, it was A M A Z I N G, it not only felt nice, it was resonant and loud
  3. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Vice President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    I have one completely disassembled in a small box I was restoring (and need to get back into!!!) but if I put a pic up it will only remind Gary that I haven't worked on it in quite awhile... :(

Oh wait...he's probably reading this... ;)
  4. powerbass

powerbass

My bass teacher has a Prescott, I call it the sub woofer.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chris1125

chris1125

I love Prescotts, I've always said the day I hit the lottery I'm going to buy a prescott, the next day I'm going to commission a sue lipkins bow, then I will be set for life haha
  7. Ben Mitchell

Ben Mitchell

I played one at TCU bass fest in the vendor area, and as soon as I began playing everyone in the room turned and looked, even those playing other basses. I call it the "Look everyone, I'm here to play bass!" bass. :D
  8. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Last year at the Uptons I played one that simply had The Voice. It was this one. Ungodly. I have never played a nicer-sounding instrument.

I think of it as the "Listen everyone!" bass. People who look at me cry no matter what instrument I'm playing.

Don't get me wrong -- I dig my bass and I dig the way it isn't 170 years old and worth twice as much as both my cars. But dag, that thing was special!
  9. jefwho

jefwho

I thought this was about the city in Arizona. witch just happens to be a great place for gigging. Very friendly to bands on the road.
  10. HunterBrodt

HunterBrodt

Wow.... Fail.

Prescott is a double bass maker from the 1800's
  11. Jsn

Jsn

I think it's pretty darn clear that Jeff was just cracking a joke. :)
  12. eerbrev

eerbrev

I think I played the same bass as you last summer. Bussetto, with an extension? I don't think it even made it onto the website. Fantastic instrument. they had another precott there as well when I swung by, a gamba, that was also a monster.

eerbrev
  13. robgrow

robgrow

A good friend and great bassist has two Prescotts, and there are at least three more here in Cincinnati (two being in the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra). The Prescott my friend plays most of the time is simply amazing and a joy to play.

Here's a link to a (somewhat dated) list of Prescotts: http://home.earthlink.net/~prescottviol/data/LOCATIONS_3Nov07.txt

BTW Andy Stetson at the Cincinnati Bass Cellar makes excellent reproductions of Prescotts. Might be a good way for someone to get a Prescott-style bass without having to spend the money the real thing commands.
  14. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

I got real lucky when in 1988 I bought mine from my teacher. Kolstein had performed a full restoration in 1987.

Attached Files:

15. JDBassist51

JDBassist51

On the record album cover jacket "The Best of The Limeliters" from the 1960's, Lou appears to be playing a fine looking Prescott. There are several of these albums listed on eBay, for anyone who would like to see it.

John
  16. MrPeel

MrPeel

I've never played or heard a Prescott, but the reputation seems to be quite incredible.
    Can you guys tell me what it is that makes them so highly sought after?
    Aside from being beautiful... I love the varnish and design of them as well.
  17. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Just play one. That'll be all you need. IMO, words don't capture it well.
  18. powerbass

powerbass

I posted earlier hat my teacher Wayne Roberts has a Prescott. I've briefly played it. it has such a deep, rich tone, it vibrates the floor. it is also very easy to play, granted it has a longer string length, but it is very smooth
  19. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass

Disclosures:
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    That is one sweet Prescott you have Rob. One of the nicest I have played!

BG
  20. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    A lot depends on the bass, I was talking with Dave Finck, a number of years back, and he has a Prescott that he says "sounds great, but is a bear to play". I did get to thump a few on Linc Milliman's Prescott when he was picking it up from Gage's and that was very easy to play.
    Here's a buncha video's of Phil Palombi playing Scottie's Prescott....
  21. MaxJohnson

MaxJohnson

John Hebert's Prescott is my favorite bass in NYC.