1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Presence,what is it

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassmachine2112, Jan 13, 2014.

1. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

hiho,I,ve got an old bass head-Selmer treble n bass and a few pre amp pedals and they have a control called presence.
    Here,s the question-what is it and how does it work,cause I like it a lot.
    maybe it has other names on other equipment.
    Hope this isn,t a silly question
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Not a silly question but it only can be fully explained by the equipment maker. "Generally" it is a broad band midrange control.
  3. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    On bass it's going to be boosting roughly 4khz or thereabouts *or* it will be a mid cut control (between 300hz and 2khz). It's so common for bassplayers to scoop the mids that it's almost a cliche. I think there's one plugin maker that even labels an EQ preset "Every bass player does this" and it just scoops out the mids.
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I'm my experience with tube amps, it's a control that alters the feedback loop and provides a high frequency boost. That said, as Mr B opines, it really depends on the implementation that a particular manufacturer decides upon.

I don't remember the TB50 having a Presence control. Then again I haven't seen one in over forty years. <sigh> If only I could just be grumpy instead of being old with it! :scowl:
  5. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

6. Blankandson

Blankandson

Does the Selmer have push-buttons or dials? I had the 1965 Selmer Zodiac Twin 50 Mark II which had five buttons. One said 'presence' and it just added a bit of sparkle to my guitars mid-neck. The Zodiac was only for guitar.
  7. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

On my old "Soundking" practice amp it was slang for "more crackle".
  8. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The presence in the Selmer decouples the negative feedback in the higher frequencies. Negative feedback takes a bit of signal from the output tubes and feeds it back into the phase inverter but it is out of phase with the signal. It tightens response and lowers distortion. It also improves headroom although it does drop volume some. By decoupling the high end, the highs are removed from the negative feedback loop and are heard as louder and more raw.

The effect is like a treble control that is voiced higher than the treble control with a little different quality.
  9. gpx1200

gpx1200

the manual for my gk rb700II lists the presence controle as +9db@10k and decribes it as adding sparkle to the tone
  10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

I thought 10K was fairy dust and 6k was sparkle. oh well.

presence = shelving boost above 4khz seems to be the average.
  11. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Definitely hoped the thread was going to be about this.
  12. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

That's what my experience about the Marshall tube amp and the clones is as well.

I do prefer the presence control over the high control as well. At least in Marshall tone stack.

OTOH there's no standard, so as has been said earlier, the manufacturer can label whatever they feel that adds "presence" to the signal presence.

Regards
    Sam
  13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Presence is the opposite of absence. :)
  14. webmonster

webmonster

Is it a 1970's Treble n Bass like this one?
    [​IMG]

I've got one of these. The presence comes across as a 'higher treble' control.
    Using it for bass I tend to have the presence at 1/2 way, for guitar (12 string Ric) presence at 3/4.