1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Presonus Firestudio Project

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Sep 11, 2007.

1. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Just thought i'd pop up a thread about this.

This thing fixes one problem I found with the firepod, to a degree, you have a metered for each channel, instead of just the clip LEDs. I think this may be replacing the Firepod/FP10 ?

It also seems to have an internal transformer, sorting another minor annoyance I found with my firepod (have the transformer sitting on the floor sometimes gets kicked about a bit :ninja: ).

http://www.presonus.com/firestudio_project.html

I want one :(
  2. stranger0

stranger0

This is the one I've been leaning towards buying. It just seems you can do more with it.
  3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

This thing looks awesome. Great price too!

Imagine a rackbag with three of these and a central station. :)
  4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Unless you can daisy chain them via firewire I dont think this is possible. It has no Adat in. I tried reading it but it didnt say anything about them being linkable, I could def be wrong. Usually when you daisy chain them or lightpipe them in your only getting 48k then. I will be curious how these new converters and pres sound though.
  5. hunta

hunta

Another thing to look at is the Focusrite Saffire Pro 26. It's the same price, same ins and outs, and has an internal word clock w/ADAT so you can sync with other Pro 26 or Pro 10. The preamps sound really good too. It's what I've got, I likes it.
  6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

I own the FirePod (FP10), which can be daisy-chained with up to two other FirePods via firewire (3 total).

According to Presonus, the FireStudio isn't daisy-chainable yet; there are probably some drivers and firmware in development to support that upcoming feature:

http://www.presonus.com/interfaces.html
  7. beadgc23

beadgc23

I'd be cautious about the FireStudio. I had FOUR of them in quick succession, two were DOA, two were badly flawed and essentially unusable (if you value sound quality and reliability), but in different ways. I used them under OSX so YMMV but these appear to be the basic flaws:

1 Clock - it doesn't pay any attention to the OSX core audio driver when it instructs hardware to change Fc. That is, if you change sample rates in your audio app, FireStudio will ignore this important info!

2 When locked, mine (the working ones anyway) would drift out of lock and either stop the recording or generate clicks in the audio files. This is a no-no.

3 Software intolerance - open a new window or application and get clicks in recording & playback.

4 It wants networking services, especially wireless networking, switched off or it's (again) prone to a barrage of clicks.

So I gave up and went on to an RME Fireface 800 which is a whole different ball game. Unconditionally stable (I've made 8 channel 96kHz recordings while burning a DVD in the background and communicating with the producer via email in the foreground) It NEVER clicks! The 4 mic preamps are noticeably better than the FireStudio but the AD/DA is Apogee standard and a whole order of quality better than the FS. Yes, it costs twice as much. But then it's never lost me any clients either...

I don't want to bash Presonus, they're doing well producing a low-cost product for a discriminating market and I still own their Central Station monitoring switcher which is an essential part of my rig & sounds great! I just get the feeling that 90% of their users are making 3.5 minute guitar/bass/sampled drums projects at 44.1kHz and that's who they're testing for. This market is also tolerant of "minor" problems and endless driver upgrades; if you're working for money then the tolerance level drops damn fast. At my billing rate, I put enough time into unfuxxing problems caused by the FireStudio to buy a Fireface800 and a couple of decent mics. You can tell I'm a little vexed, no? (grin) On the other hand, I'm now one of the best click removal editors in the business...

Do yourself a favor - any decent store will rent you a pro interface for a reasonable sum of money. Check out an RME Fireface, a Metric Halo or an Apogee Ensemble on a couple of projects & see if you think the quality difference is worth the bucks.

Caveat: I've been a pro engineer of one kind or another since 1983 - this doesn't mean I don't make mistakes but I've learned to avoid most of the common ones.
  8. beadgc23

beadgc23

Sounds like a nightmare to me...:bag:
  9. GreyBeard

GreyBeard

I've had one since Xmas. Be ready to really tweak your PC (unless you using MAC) as the drivers are real picky about other software you may have installed. You can get up to 24 channels using the FireStudio and 2 Digimax FS's or other ADAT devices. The control panel software that comes with it will only recognize 16 channels as of now. Presonus has been promising new drivers to correct this problem for sometime now. Lot of people are kinda put out about this.
  10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

As far as im aware the firestudio projects only came out in the last few weeks . . .
  11. vicenzajay

vicenzajay

Sage advice here, folks.

Jay
  12. stranger0

stranger0

I haven't had a single problem with my Firestudio or Digimax FS. I haven't encountered anything you've described above.

+1 to renting before buying.
  13. Kosko

Kosko

I seriously love my Firepod.
  14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Me too :)

(granted was annoyed for a long time trying to work out problems related to the PC, but its a great bit of kit, especially at the price)
  15. justabass

justabass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    +1
  16. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

I've got a Firestudio Project running on a stripped down HP refurbished box running XP SP3 RC1 and I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I have recorded multi-tracks with Reaper and Audition 3 at 24/48000 and 256 samples with no perceivable latency whatsoever. I'm a happy camper.