Press kit cover letters - what do yours say?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, Jan 12, 2013.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

About 95% of all my band's bookings are done either over the phone, email, or Facebook (in roughly that order). However, we do have more than a few clubs who completely eschew electronic forms of booking, and who specifically ask for a hard-copy press kit. I have a standard folder that I put a demo CD, business cards, some glossy printed photos, and a personalized (but still templatized) cover letter, but I'm curious: for you TBers who still do hard-copy press kits, what specifically do you write in your cover letters?
  2. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Mine says "You Might As Well Just Throw This in the Trash, Youre Going to Anyways"
  4. Doug R

Doug R

Cover letters should always be short and to the point. Be professional.

1 - Thank you for your interest in .... etc. (greeting, reminder of previous contact(s).

2 - We are enclosing .... (the body of the letter in a single paragraph, ie. what, why, when, etc)

3 - Please contact us at .... (call to action, specific next steps to be taken or question for them to encourage them to get back to you, continue or finalize the transaction. Again, a single short paragraph)

4 - Thank you (again) and closing. (keep it short)

Be sure all your contact info, phone, email, website, etc is on the header, footer or letterhead. Don't get long-winded or duplicate info already in your promo pack.

Keep track of mailing dates, calls, etc. If you don't hear back in a few days or a week, call or visit in-person if possible for personal follow-up while it's still fresh in their minds. We started a spreadsheet in MS Excel with columns for venue, manager, address, phone, email, dates of all contacts & mail-outs sent, and dates/prices from any previous gigs there. It's great to be informed and sound like you remember everything clearly from previous dealings.
  5. Register to disable this ad