1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

pressure wounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by staurosjohn, Nov 15, 2012.

1. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Ma-boy Maxie! Supporting Member

So... I did a search- but (surprisingly) didn't find an answer that was looking for... so here goes...

I have a P-bass (Geddy Lee neck and Basslines p/u) that has Roto 66's... perfect!

Have a '51 RI P w/LaBella flats... perfect!

Have a Mike Dirnt P w/Chromes... perfect!

Have a Squier Mustang w/D'Addario half-rounds... perfect!

... giving a 'history' because it might help clarify the specific 'contrast' I am looking for on my next bass...

So... I have an Amer. P with rosewood Amer. Jazz neck- routed for J p/u- with Lindy Fralins (J p/u is 10% overwound)... I like the 'growl' I get from this configuration- but I am looking for a bit less 'brightness' than I can get with the 'Geddy-P (Roto's)... I picked up a custom set (.050-.105) set of DR Lo-Riders... thought it might be a bit 'fuller'- but isn't quite what I am looking for.

I see LaBella makes 'quarter-rounds'... the description sounds more like 'three-quarter' rounds? Also looking at Roto 55's and GHS 'pressure-wound'.

Any thoughts please?

Thx- John

2. staurosjohn

... well- found some answers in another thread... but will leave this up for awhile... see if I get any clearer suggestions- unique to my bass... :hyper:

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Nickel iron pressure wounds may be exactly what you are looking for. Solid midrange punch with a strong low end. Just enough highs to cut through without being twangy. Added bonus is less finger noise.

If you want more brightness then the stainless steel rotos would be next in line

4. staurosjohn

Thanks Jason,

I also emailed you thru BSO (you can 'ignore that')... do you have a particular string in mind?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    I'm on the road so away from a computer. Will be getting to your email on BSO shortly. I didn't think they were the same.

Well, it's between Ken Smith Compressors and GHS Pressure Wounds.

If the bass is Thru-Body then you want the Ken Smith Compressors, if Top Load Only then the GHS Pressurewounds.

With the La Bella's they call them "Quarter Rounds" because they shave off a quarter of the winding. Half empty half full right? They are a great string as well but maybe not what you are going for.

Then again I could be a little biased, I love pressure wounds on a P-Bass. (and others!)

7. staurosjohn

Thanks Jason for your help! I think GHS's it will be... you'll be getting an order (again) soon... almost reached a 'rewards coupon'! :D

John

(just ordered) :bassist:

8. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Yes you are almost there! Are you planning to order one or two sets?

9. EricssonB

EricssonB

From my research, the difference between GHS and Ken Smith is the color of the silk. KS is purple, I think. GHS is black.

My ESP has KS and my Jazz as GHS. I love them both. Can't distinguish between the two, really.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Ah thanks I got your order. Sending you a message re: points for next time.

11. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Silk color and winding length difference.

GHS = 36.5"
    Ken Smith = 38"

12. staurosjohn

I was a bit fast to order... just one set- I suppose...

13. EricssonB

EricssonB

Oh hey, I can't recall because it was a few months ago, but I'm pretty sure I bought them from you! I even got the stickers (guitar and bass) and put them on the side of my stereo receiver!

Are those the only two differences?

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    I don't know if there are other construction difference as far as wrap wire sizes tensions etc, but that's easiest to see... Not counting the tapered b on smiths and non on the GHS

15. EricssonB

EricssonB

Crucial for the 5er, for sure.

I'll be placing an order in a few weeks. Putting my guitar back together and doing my annual restring on the 5er.

Don't hate, the strings before that KS set were 8 year old rounds. :bag:

16. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Oh I have a bass that has 4 year old rounds on it now...

All depends on the bass...

:)

17. Smurf_Byte

Smurf_Byte Supporting Member

How do the Dean Markley Helix strings compare to the GHS? Feel, sound, tension... etc. I do like the GHS' on my P-Bass, lot's of punch.

18. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Very different. Really shouldn't be in the same category. I changed the category from pressure would to pressure wound and non round windings on my website.

Helix strings are very flexible. Bright brilliant complex harmonic tone with full midrange deep lows and bright crisp clear highs.

19. soulman969

soulman969

IMHO you won't be disappointed with those Pressure Wounds. Based on Jason's recommendation I've been playing them on my Jazz for over a year now and they are without a doubt the best strings I've ever played on a JBass.

I'd play them on my PBass as well be instead went for the GHS PFlats just to have a bass with that "old school" flat wound thump. If I ever decide to change strings on the PBass there'll be a set of Pressure Wounds on that one as well.

Great tension and feel, punchy without too much top end and and very tonally expressive.

20. staurosjohn

Thx... this bass is my 'jazz' bass... but its a bit 'clanky'- if that makes sense... I'm gonna save up for a 'Plek' on the frets... but I think these strings will definately get me closer to the sound I'm looking for- on this particular bass!

21. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

You could try Fodera strings. Those are compressed wounded too :)