Pressurewound aging

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gorn Captain, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Anyone ever have GHS pressurewounds on their bass for a long time? Like 6 months plus. After a while, do they have all the punch and definition (or lack of) like flatwounds? or do they retain at least some zing. I like the idea of keeping strings on my main bass pretty much forever. I don't slap and don't need a lot of brightness and zing, but I'm wondering if they'll completely lose all their punch.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I've had the same set on my Brubaker Brute for about a year. I don't play it a whole lot, and they still have quite a bit of sparkle to them. I think you'll like them. In fact, I'm looking for something with less top end now, as I want to have one bass with a totally different set of strings and dedicated to having a smooth, fat Motown type sound. Not sure I want flats, though.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I just got the new labella "white" tapewounds. As awesome as regular tapewounds, but brighter and more versitile I think. They'd work well for smooth fat motown, in my opinion.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I might check those out! Tapes are on my 'want to try' list.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Supporting Member

I've had a well worn set on my main bass for about a year now, they've lost most top end acoustically (playing unplugged). Unfortunately, I haven't had a gig to see how they actually sound loud and in the mix.

EDIT: I play GHS Pressurewounds.

7. kasbrey

kasbrey

I've had a set or two on for over 18 months now on my basses. After a year or so I soaked them in de-natured alcohol which brought them back to "just broken in".
    I guess I'll do the same again if they sound too dull.

8. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

Top 3 songs are recorded with PWounds (I think all of them are actually, but the first 3 are the only ones with our current lineup and are much better recordings in general.) The first is a 5 string Jazz. The next two were done with a CV 60's P.

https://soundcloud.com/edward-maynard

Pressurewounds are going on 6 months old on both basses. I bought both basses/strings at the same time. Bass may not be very audible on Laptop speakers.

I really dug the way they sounded, but to each their own.

9. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

I have a touring professional friend who swears by these strings. He gets a good 6-7 months out of his strings; boils them frequently to return some zing. They don't ever sound like flats to me, but they do get a more pronounced thud and sound darker. I have a few sets sitting around with a few months on them, and they still sound somewhat new to me.

10. ObeyGiant

ObeyGiant

I am not a fan of that new string sound for most applications. I like any rounds I buy a lot more after they have some time to lose that zing. I don't know how long these Pressurewounds will last, but I do plan on trying to use them for as long as I think they sound good.

I have a set on another P that I don't play that often anymore that have been on that bass since March 2012 (first set of Pressurewounds I tried) and I think they still sound great. I really need to give a set of Flats a try. When I first started playing bass (10 years ago) I had never even heard of flats and idolized Mark Hoppus so all I have ever played until recently has been mostly Nickel rounds.

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I had pressurewounds on a P-Bass of mine for over a year.

(technically Ken Smith Compressors)

12. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Well this guy is playing classic rock and motown with a pick. I'm sure you have slightly different tonal goals as well. But they might be the strings for you if you like deader rounds.