Pressurewounds making my wrist hurt?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mr sprocket, Feb 24, 2013.

1. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

I recently switched from Elixirs to pressurewounds on my Ibanez SR5XX. I was expecting some tension difference but after playing this weekend it is making my wrist hurt. Anyone else have this happen? I can pick one of my other basses with Elixers or DR Neons and it doe snot bother me as much. Maybe I have just grown wimpy in my playing strength.
  2. Ezmar

Ezmar

I don't have much experience with pressurewounds, but maybe they sound duller than normal coated rounds and you're overcompensating?

Just an uninformed thought.
  3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I have Pressure Wounds on one bass. They are a little brighter than flats and make way more finger noise. They don't make my wrist hurt. I can't think of any reason why they should. Maybe you have a temporary wrist problem and the issue will go away when it heals up.

Ken
  4. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

I khutch I did not think the tension would be that different on the pressurewounds. I am liking the sound though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

that sounds odd

do you play your bass really low?

sounds like you might have already played in a position that would cause wrist problems, and the newer strings finally made it more obvious?

just guessing here.
  7. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

I am wondering about that. I broke my wrist in high school and have bad position to work with. I give it a few days and then try again.
  8. hotbass57

hotbass57

I broke my hand 1 year ago. I tried pressure wound, but didn't like the tension. I love flats but can't use them because of the tension. I have switched to DR and GHS Infinity coated and love them. Less string noise and lower tension. I haven't experienced the stickeness some have experienced. BSLO have the GHS Infinity coated for $8/set. Awesome string.