1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Presto Jazzicato strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by malpasso, Dec 27, 2012.

1. malpasso

malpasso

Hi! I've done some search on the Presto Jazzicato double bass strings and have found only six results, most of them pretty old, from the time when they were going to be released. They are also the type "I'm willing to try check them out". Any more recent thoughts oand/or experiences on them?
    :D
  2. TonyD

TonyD

I am eager to try out Presto Hybrid Light, because they sound nice on the bow as well.

What makes you check out the Jazzicato's? (besides the price :))
  3. malpasso

malpasso

Thnaks for posting!
    I'm a an electric bass player. I've had TI Weichs on my Strunal 5/35 (laminated with carved top) for five years -100% pizzicato seeking a jazzy sound- Great strings I bought out of nearly unanimous recommendation from TBers. The've served me well, but I'd like to experiment with something nearer to gut (less tension, more thud, less boing)...

I've taken a look at this link:
    http://www.hervejeanne.de/saitenmatrix.php

...which I've found extremely helful . I heartly recommend it to whoever is looking for string tone comparison and orientation.
    I like the sound of the Presto Nylon Nylonwounds sample. The Jazzicato seem to have been designed specially for pizzicato...but there is no sound sample of them-:(
  4. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    The Jazzicatos are similar in design to Labella 7710's.
    Flat black nylon tape on steel rope-core.
    They have more sustain and clarity than the classic Prestos. (called Eurosonics in North America)
  5. malpasso

malpasso

Thanks, EUB_Player!
    That seems to be the way to go for my purposes!
    ;)
  6. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Furthermore, there are two sets available.
    The newer one is called Jazzicato Tungsten.
    In this one, the bottom strings have tungsten in the construction, so they are thinner than the "regular" Jazzicatos. (and possibly brighter too)
    My preference goes to the original design, but that's juste my taste.
    :)
  7. malpasso

malpasso

That's neat, precise info, my friend!
    Thanks so much!

Taking into account that I come from Weichs, do you think the nut will need some filing because of the thicker gauge?
    :D
  8. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Not with the tungsten's!
  9. malpasso

malpasso

..then I think I'll give them a shot!

Thanks again!

;)
  10. TonyD

TonyD

11. malpasso

malpasso

Thanks!
    I visited that some time ago...still it's an arco example, not a pizzicato one!
  12. bassailor

bassailor

i'm using the jazzicato tungsten on a full-ply strunal coffin, i use the bow a lot , slap and pizzicato, and i'm happy with these strings.the pizz tone is what they were born for,deep and fatround but not muddy,strong low end and good articulation in thumb position.bowing requires a lot of precision , a lot of rosin and a different approach, but the tone is very much "breathing" and rich, even on a poor man's instrument.gauge and tension are ok for me, good fingerfeeling, the price is good and the guys at presto are very kind.good strings for sure they deserve a try.
  13. malpasso

malpasso

Graet ifo, Bassailor! Plenty of precise and useful data.
    Thanxx!!
    :)
  14. malpasso

malpasso

Hi!
    I went with the Presto Jazzicato Tungsten in the end. Happy with them in the sense that I got what i was looking for:Easy on the hands tension and less boing... and now I'm not so sure I can do without the boing!!!!

I've just prepared a couple of sound samples for you to judge by yourselves. One is with my old Spiro weichs, the other one with my new Jazzicatos.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16506524/StringTestSpiros.mp3

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16506524/StringTestJazzicatoTungsten.mp3

I was doodling around when recording the samples: sorry not for not playing the same passage in both cases, but I think this could do for sound comparison purposes. Bear in mind that Spiros are much older. No EQ or compression in either case. Please use headphones and be conservative as regards volume levels.
    Opinions and comments welcome.
    ;)
  15. 61pollmann

61pollmann

Are these available in USA?
  16. malpasso

malpasso

As far as I know, they have always been referred to as "Eurosonics" in te. USA... But I've never heard of the Pizzicato Tungsten series outside Presto.;)
  17. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

A well known talkbass string expert corrected me that the Eurosonics were Presto Nylonwound (the first Presto strings that have been available, I think).

The Jazzicato are higher tension strings and were released recently, even after the Presto Balance series.

You can order them from Jonas Lohse in Germany, but have to pay VAT and customs when importing them outside the european community.