1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Preventing cab theft at practice space.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by creis2, Nov 26, 2012.

1. creis2

creis2

So my band has a practice space in a pretty sketchy part of town and another room got broken into and all sorts of stuff got stolen.

I'm terrified of my beloved NV610 disappearing. I was wondering if anyone knew some tricks to make it less desirable to thieves?

There isn't anything to lock it to. Does anyone have any remedies?
  2. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

You can try to anchor it to the ground. But, in my experience, if the thief can't take it and they get frustrated, they usually destroy it. Better to insure all your gear, make sure all access points are locked and secured every time you leave and keep track of everyone who has a key to the facility (especially to your space/locker). You may also want to get your bandmates to chip in for a 24-hour security cam that you can mount inside the studio. There are some available at Home Depot now that will send a text image to your cell phone if they capture any activity.

Its a roll of the dice. But fellow musicians are usually pretty cool about protecting each others gear. Maybe you and your bandmates can chip in for a system and gain a little peace of mind?
  3. oddgrowth

oddgrowth

4. creis2

creis2

AKA Ampeg 810. Got rid of mine years ago :D
  5. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If you can disguise the word bergatino and make it look a lot like behringer or bugeria no body in his right mind would think of thieving it.
    Apart from that you need to booby trap something. I like those
    bamboo spike things like what Rambo used to make.
    Remember violence is never the answer but its often a very satisfying start.:bassist:
  6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I see you're in Cambridge. One option would be to consider JamSpot in Somerville (just outside of Inman Sq.). They have hourly rate rooms that are fully stocked with amps, drums and a PA. This worked perfectly for my previous band, but it's not for everyone. It does, however, solve the problem of having to store your rig at a potentially unsafe remote location.
  7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I know it's a big drag, but I'd consider loading in/out for every rehearsal. We used to rent a rehearsal room in 6 hr blocks, which meant about 4 hrs of practice, and 2 hrs of set-up/breakdown, but never lost any gear.
  8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Buy a nice heavy chain, and run it through your handles on your amp/cabs. Then tie the other end of the chain to something in the rehearsal space that is not easily removed (Radiator etc.) If there isn't anything to tie it to, get the permission to screw a nice big anchor bolt into one of the studs in a nearby wall, and us THAT to anchor it down.[​IMG]
  9. creis2

creis2

Unfortunately, Cambridge is my old location (need to update). I live in NYC now. If I had a bigger apartment, I would keep the berg here and buy some clunker for the practice space. But I don't even have room for myself in this nyc apartment.

I guess it's a gamble. :meh:
  10. rodl2005

rodl2005

I wouldn't leave anything irreplaceable there myself. :(
    Sure, get a good insurance policy. There are some good options in this around these days (unlike years ago)
    Even tho a NV610 can be replaced, I think I'd take mine with me.
    Our rehearsal space is the school where I work, so we set up all, each time.
  11. winston

winston Supporting Member

Slap a Peavey logo on it!
    :bag:

I wouldn't leave my gear in a sketchy spot like that.
  12. Gaius46

Gaius46

I wouldn't leave my stuff anyplace where the was a significant risk of theft.

Either take it with you and if you can't find another space. May cost more or be less convenient but having all the equipment in your rehearsal space stolen isn't cheap or convenient either.
  13. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Insurance is your best bet, make sure it is quality coverage through a reputable company and is for full replacement value. Document everything with receipts, pictures,and serial#'s, make sure you and the company have everything on file.
  14. gumtownbassman

gumtownbassman Supporting Member

a key switch on the back to connect an alarm to the speakers, and a micro switch underneith, so if it gets lifted off the ground, the siren would be so piercing, no-one would take it.

Either that or some recording with a typical hot but sincere female voice anouncing "Warning- detonation sequence initiated- plutonium power source is now activated"
  15. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, even though my current rehearsal space is quite secure, this is why I hang on to my old Peavey 215D-BW: it's loaded with good Eminence drivers, but doesn't look like much on the outside... A cheap, but good cab like that is perfect for leaving at a rehearsal space...

- georgestrings
  16. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Then if you anchor it down, someone still may damage it, if they can't have it............

Sad to say the obvious, take it home, if there are concerns.
  17. dmusic148

dmusic148

The only sure way is to not leave it there. Next best would be to chain it to something, running the chain through the handles, but a savvy thief will unscrew the handles and leave them, so you have to replace the screws with tamperproof ones such as those used on bathroom stall doors.
    Even then, a really determined thief will take it.
    Remove it and replace with something less valuable, that preferably looks like crap.
  18. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

That is exactly why I kept my Peavey combo! Sounded pretty good, but would not break my heart if it was stolen. Kept a Carvin 1/15 for same purpose, if I had to leave something overnight!
  19. Thaos627

Thaos627

i have the same issue, i prefer cheap equipment so i guess its safe. u can always take some paint off it to make it look beat up & worthless. my favorite it super gluing it down to the floor, if u need to move it u can always use some paint thinner to remove the glue.
  20. Johntheson

Johntheson

I don't know how remote your location is, or if this is an option for you; but ADT will come out and wire your location's entry points for free if you sign a years monitoring contract. That will cost the band about $45.00 a month, and they will wire a screeching loud horn on the building that will wail non stop till the cops arrive. That's what we have.
    John Sr.