Preventing the bass from sliding while sitting

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Les Fret, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Les Fret

Les Fret

I have a question for the sitting players. I sit cello like on a low stool with my bass. What tools do you use for preventing the bass from sliding?

Is this cello boot also good for bass?
    http://www.pedalboots.com/products/celloboots/

any other accessories that are good for bass?

2. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

3. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

I find it strange that they would use someone in their ad who has probably never played cello before, posing with a cello with no bride. Seems like a handy solution though.

4. Edvin

Edvin

Haha!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    If you sit with the bass at a fair angle, then no rubber tip or free standing endpin rest will hold. You need to either put a sharp point into the floor, or have some contraption which joins the tip to your stool. The Xeros looks workable enough. There are a thousand ways to skin this cat.

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

8. Les Fret

Les Fret

9. Michael Eisenman

You can. My big round rubber tip catches in the chevron, but might slip out at an extreme angle. I just remove it and spike into the chevron.

Also, the Xeros is much smaller than that huge PedalBoots thing.

10. mjt0229

mjt0229

You can, but it will wear down the rubber tip. I tried for a while to use a bare metal rod as an endpin, since I always play with a Xeros. In practice, that solution tended to be noisy. In the end, I decided that it's okay to gradually wear down the rubber end; they're cheap and easily replaceable, and they keep the interface between endpin and anchor quiet.

11. eerbrev

eerbrev

I have a Xeros (or xeros-alike). works like a charm. that cello boot thing looks like a gimmick.

12. Les Fret

Les Fret

13. Michael Eisenman

I'm sure it's large enough, but I'll measure it when I get home. My stool is a drum throne with legs that are splayed out (not vertical-ish), so I attached a small carabiner clip to the ring and hook it onto the throne.

The puck-like thing looks like it would slide on a dusty floor as much as one of those neoprene things (even silicone can slide). I want mine lashed to something immovable.

14. David Potts

David Potts

Two more ways to skin a cat?

A 1/4" ply rectangle with a chevron made of wooden beading glued/nailed on one side and a similar rectangle of soft sticky perforated plastic sheeting stapled to the other side (the sort you put under vases to avoid scratching furniture, or you have under rugs to stop them slipping). Mine fits into my rosin pocket along with glasses, pencil case, soft cloth, tuner........! Works well on all except dusty surfaces.

A plank of 1/4" ply narrow enough to fit in your bow pocket that has a large hole at one end and a cross piece of wooden beading, a stop, glued/nailed at the other end. Distance from hole to stop is your own personal preference. It's very cheap and is a permanent solution for any flat surface. You can't blame the bass slipping for playing out of tune.

Cheers, DP

15. Michael Eisenman

The ring is 2" inside diameter; the strap is just over 30" fully extended.

Attached Files:

16. Les Fret

Les Fret

ok, thanks Michael. I will order one. Can only found this on US site though.

If someone has any other good anti slide tools let me know!

17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    I use the one that Michael has shown in the photo, that's about as good as it gets.

18. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

I sit on a low stool and when I can't just jab the metal tip into the floor,
    I use one of these:

Stoppin - Large; Super Sensitive, cello/bass
    Super Sensitive's Large "Stoppin" Endpin Rest features a 3" x 3" rubber surface which is bubbled allowing for easy position adjustments. Works great on any surface. Works great with Cello or Bass.
    List Price: $17.02

Attached Files:

19. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

20. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Nice!

21. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

Many, many years ago I made what I think is a great solution.

A small-ish square-ish piece of hard wood about 1/2" thick (happened to be oak, but anything reasonably robust will work), with a hole drilled for the endpin in the top, a piece of hard rubber sheet glued to the bottom, and an eyebolt in one side. Tied to the eyebolt, a length of cord with a loop and a toggle for adjustment on the other end. Put the loop around a leg of your stool.

This will not slip, is completely adjustable, and is cheap and easy to carry around.

My original one got lost in the Christchurch earthquake and I haven't gotten around to replacing it, but I definitely will do so as it's such a useful thing.