Previous Aguilar DB750/751 owners, what did you switch to and why?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bertthebassist, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

Over the years, I have noticed that many people have sold their DB750/ DB751.
    If this is one of the best amps, I am curious as to why you switched and what did you switch to.
    I am hoping to hear from players who actually owned and used an Aguilar DB750 or DB751
    Thank you for the info

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Too heavy for a codger. GK MB Fusion 800, Glockenklang Blue Soul, Mesa Prodigy and others.

3. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

I've owned both 750 and 751. To heavy and cumbersome. Too basic of tonal options. Nice one trick tone. Went to a thunderfunk 800b2.

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I still use mine... The biggest issue is the weight for me. Not practical for all gigs. I use a streamliner 900 which i like because of the weight. The 750's power section is what makes it exceptional with great tone. Few amps hit as hard in the real world as these do

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pmaraziti

pmaraziti Gold Supporting Member

As current owner and maybe soon-codger-to-be I subscribe !

7. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

Munjibunga
    Of the amps you listed, which do you feel sounds most similar to your old Aggie?
    What do you prefer to use with your CN212?

Michricker
    When using your Fenders, does the Thunderfunk have as good of a bottom end as the Aggie?

I don't like the weight of the Aggie, but I have not found anything that compares to the low end sound of the Aggie yet.

8. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Yes. Through a berg H's 410 and H's 250 stack the thunderfunk 800b2 at 2.7ohms can definitely keep up with the db ime. Nice big deep lows with warm clarity are no problem. Both heads are warm and clear in a similar way. The thunderfunk has way more eq options

9. astack

astack Supporting Member

I bought a DB750 last year to check out. I flipped it shortly after. Just too far to the fat side for me plus the size and weight. I think a lot are sold because a lot of people want to try them like I did, not that they aren't bad, just not for everyone. The Tonehammer is big enough in the lows for me when I want that, although the DB750 was capable of more. And the TH has more upper mid character, which I like. I'm mostly using either the Bassman or V4B now (similar size and weight to the DB, so that's not the only criteria).

10. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

As mentioned, the DB750 has an authority/brick-wall quality to the notes that I haven't heard from anything else. It is addictive to have that power, but also not necessarily fitting for all bands/genres. I personally love the clean tubey character of the Aggie more than any other hybrid I've heard, but prefer the breakup and looseness of an all-tube amp in my band's mix. If I were doing a project where the BASS was the main driving element then the DB750 would probably be my first choice, but for now its my Mesa Prodigy!