Price check early 60's modified Mosrite Ventures.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 96tbird, Jan 7, 2014.

1. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

This bass has a jazz pickup in the bridge position. It is an original first model ventures that had the single neck pickup. Otherwise it appears all original with plenty of patina. What you think is a fair price?
    Not my pics!
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389156080.309408.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389156109.375509.jpg
  2. RickBlair

RickBlair

Very difficult to estimate without clearer pics of the body (front and back), and neck. The J pickup could have been installed professionally or it could have been installed using a screwdriver to carve out the opening. Regardless, the originality is no longer there so the value as a collectible is gone. The bridge cover is probably not available as well as the case.

If the bass is in good playing condition and the truss rod works it might be worth $500 tops if a Ventures Model is a priority. Otherwise I'd lowball it at $300. You can find early 70's 2-pickup models (non-Ventures) for less than $1,000 usually. They tend to have cracks in the clearcoat but this one isn't a showpiece either.

Rick B.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

A guy I know found one of these in a dumpster.
  4. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

This one looks like it may have spent time in a dumpster too; or at least in a home full of smoking gorillas.

Thanks for the input so far.
  5. Register to disable this ad