price for 77 used telecaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miguelbass, Apr 6, 2014.

1. miguelbass

miguelbass Supporting Member

Hello, I have at home a bass which a friend of mine wants to sell. It's a 1977 Telecaster.

-the finish seems not to be original (please confirm with the photos)
    -it has an extra pickup installed, was rewired and a 3-position switch added.
    -varnish of the neck already worn off especially around the frets
    -missing pickup covers, strap holders
    -worn frets (i think it needs re-fretting - pls see photos)
    -generally worn and needs setup

I would like to please ask you how much would you pay for it, if you would like to restore it later.

thank you!
    Miguel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more pictures here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ftijd15o5gfhtn/bL54FjP1dg
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I believe you have to be a supporting member to sell or ask for estimates.
  3. miguelbass

I didn't know about that.
    Thank you.
    Miguel
  4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Thats about the least desirable era and model from that era except the musicmaster. It would cost more to restore then it would be just to find a cleaner example. Everything you stated is correct, except a refret needed wouldn't be known tell you played it but it looks like there is plenty of life in the frets.

Not saying its not worth fixing up but I would do it myself as a pro job would make it a money pit you wouldnt get out of without losing a lot.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. miguelbass

Thank you for the advice. I do have another example for sale in better shape from 72-73 but in rosewood fingerboard and I really like the feel of the maple neck/fingerboard...

Can you please tell in which terms this is a bad year for these models? I also have heard some less positive comments about mid-late 70's Fenders. I do have a 78 Precision and I quite like it - although its super heavy...

Thanks again

Miguel
    www.miguelbass.com

7. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Its not a bad year for the model , just late 70s is deemed one of the worst era's of Fenders, I currently have a 78 Fender P bass as well and I really like mine.
  8. miguelbass

I just became supporting member. Sorry for my lack of information.

In case you would like to see pics of the Telecaster they are here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ftijd15o5gfhtn/bL54FjP1dg

I also have another telecaster which I would like you to please take a look. It's in better shape and it is from around 73, but again it's a strange one because it has rosewood fingerboard which I have been alerted may be not original. The bridge also may not be original because it's not a "2+2"... here are the pics https://www.dropbox.com/sh/04pk87xvd2qj4nd/sMUDyr1X68

I would like to have a better idea of how much is worth to ask for these two basses. Thank you very much.

Miguel
    www.miguelbass.com