1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

price for 77 used telecaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by miguelbass, Apr 6, 2014.

1. miguelbass

miguelbass

Jan 13, 2011
    Hello, I have at home a bass which a friend of mine wants to sell. It's a 1977 Telecaster.

-the finish seems not to be original (please confirm with the photos)
    -it has an extra pickup installed, was rewired and a 3-position switch added.
    -varnish of the neck already worn off especially around the frets
    -missing pickup covers, strap holders
    -worn frets (i think it needs re-fretting - pls see photos)
    -generally worn and needs setup

I would like to please ask you how much would you pay for it, if you would like to restore it later.

thank you!
    Miguel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more pictures here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ftijd15o5gfhtn/bL54FjP1dg

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I believe you have to be a supporting member to sell or ask for estimates.

3. miguelbass

miguelbass

Jan 13, 2011
    I didn't know about that.
    Thank you.
    Miguel

4. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    Thats about the least desirable era and model from that era except the musicmaster. It would cost more to restore then it would be just to find a cleaner example. Everything you stated is correct, except a refret needed wouldn't be known tell you played it but it looks like there is plenty of life in the frets.

Not saying its not worth fixing up but I would do it myself as a pro job would make it a money pit you wouldnt get out of without losing a lot.

5. Sponsored by:

6. miguelbass

miguelbass

Jan 13, 2011
    Thank you for the advice. I do have another example for sale in better shape from 72-73 but in rosewood fingerboard and I really like the feel of the maple neck/fingerboard...

Can you please tell in which terms this is a bad year for these models? I also have heard some less positive comments about mid-late 70's Fenders. I do have a 78 Precision and I quite like it - although its super heavy...

Thanks again

Miguel
    www.miguelbass.com

7. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Los Angeles California
    Its not a bad year for the model , just late 70s is deemed one of the worst era's of Fenders, I currently have a 78 Fender P bass as well and I really like mine.

8. miguelbass

miguelbass

Jan 13, 2011
    I just became supporting member. Sorry for my lack of information.

In case you would like to see pics of the Telecaster they are here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ftijd15o5gfhtn/bL54FjP1dg

I also have another telecaster which I would like you to please take a look. It's in better shape and it is from around 73, but again it's a strange one because it has rosewood fingerboard which I have been alerted may be not original. The bridge also may not be original because it's not a "2+2"... here are the pics https://www.dropbox.com/sh/04pk87xvd2qj4nd/sMUDyr1X68

I would like to have a better idea of how much is worth to ask for these two basses. Thank you very much.

Miguel
    www.miguelbass.com