Price for a GOtz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by xandra55555, Mar 18, 2014.

1. xandra55555

xandra55555

I found a 1971 Gotz bass, model 554 for sale here in Alaska and am wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I don't know if the price is good or not. Does any one have any info they can share?
  2. csrund

csrund

Media:
    I've seen Götz hybrids listed in the $4K range. Very good sounding instruments.
  3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

You will have to supply more info if you want a good answer on this particular bass. They can be very nice instruments.
  4. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

It's a killer instrument with a semi well repaired neck break. Feels fine under the thumb but has some kind of dowl that was used to pin it through the fingerboard. It sounds great, but the repair is ugly. I owned it until recently.
  5. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

6. xandra55555

xandra55555

I went ahead and bought it, though I got the impression I could have offered a little less for it. Still I do love the sound of it! That is what sold me on it. Do you have any idea how that ugly repair came to be? Cause it is ugly. Seems solid though. It also has a repair on the neck about 1/4 down, do you know how that break happened? That repair is very nice. I was doing some research online to see about how much that bass was worth but found anything from $4000 to $9000. I'm sure the breaks bring the value down significantly though. Regardless the sound is very good and I am just happy to have a bass that I can actually make some music with;)
  7. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

Despite the ugly fix it plays and sounds great. I'll pm you a little later on the details as I understand them.