Price of EKO BA4 acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lzandman, Jul 23, 2004.

1. lzandman

lzandman

Hi,

I stumbled upon an acoustic bass guitar that I would like to buy. It's an EKO and searching the internet I noticed it probably is an BA4:

[​IMG]

It resembles the bass on this picture very closely. Only it doesn't have a piezo pick-up system. It's 100% acoustic.

Does anybody know how much this bass is worth? The current owner has asked me to do a bid, but I have no clue as to how much I should bid.

Greetings,

Leon
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

:spit: All acoustic bass guitar? I've found acoustic BGs to be irritatingly quiet, and unsuitable for even accompanying an acoustic guitar -- even when jamming. At best, they're a "practice anywhere" instrument. I can't imagine they'd be worth much, because there wouldn't be much demand for a bass guitar with no amplification system.
  3. barroso

barroso

the one in the pic is the older version still made in italy.

a good price could be 150-200 Euros.

those basses are really big and sounds huge. really.
  4. lzandman

lzandman

Yeah, I agree. People warned me about the fact that acoustic basses weren't meant to be played without amplification, but this bass must be an exception. It sounds really loud and fat. I like it a lot, so I'll probably buy it. It's a great bass to take out into the garden and play. Ideal for practice, although it isn't suitable for slappin' 'n tappin'... :bassist:[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. The Mock Turtle Regulator

The Mock Turtle Regulator

isn't this bass short-scale?

I think one of these crops up in a couple of videos by The Cure- "the caterpillar" and "In between days".
    I'm not sure if it was used on any recordings though.
  7. lzandman

lzandman

No, it isn't.
    Mmmm. I'll be watching MTV for any Cure videos from now on :)
  8. Big Bullfiddler

Big Bullfiddler

9. your_diamond

your_diamond

Hello Big Bullfiddler,
    You found a picture of one of my EKO BA-4's.
    Wonderful Basses but even with great strings (like Thomastik AB344) it still needs a peizo pick up to be viable.
    But then again, we are in the 21ST Century, so every working musicians instrument should have a pick up in it.
    Regards,
    Michael
    FYI... The original EKO BA-4 were made in italy by Alfredo Bugari between the mid 1970's through 1987 (NOT sixties).
    The serial numbers were the manufacture dates.
  10. your_diamond

your_diamond

I should say that these sell from $350 to $800 USD for both fretless and fretted 4 strings.
    The rare SIX string versions (I owned one in the late 1980's) are worth $1000 or more.
    Both of the fretless I owned had fret markers.
    All Italian models had floating bridges with metal tailpieces EXCEPT THE BA-1-E.

IMHO all of these basses are very underpriced for solid wood guitars.

IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE SELLING AN ITALIAN MADE BA-1-E PLEASE CONTACT ME!
    Two people have told me they exist but these people may believe in UNICORNS, too!
    MICHAEL
    clusts at gmail
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014 at 10:21 PM