1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Price of EKO BA4 acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lzandman, Jul 23, 2004.

1. lzandman

lzandman

Jul 23, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Hi,

I stumbled upon an acoustic bass guitar that I would like to buy. It's an EKO and searching the internet I noticed it probably is an BA4:

[​IMG]

It resembles the bass on this picture very closely. Only it doesn't have a piezo pick-up system. It's 100% acoustic.

Does anybody know how much this bass is worth? The current owner has asked me to do a bid, but I have no clue as to how much I should bid.

Greetings,

Leon

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :spit: All acoustic bass guitar? I've found acoustic BGs to be irritatingly quiet, and unsuitable for even accompanying an acoustic guitar -- even when jamming. At best, they're a "practice anywhere" instrument. I can't imagine they'd be worth much, because there wouldn't be much demand for a bass guitar with no amplification system.

3. Sponsored by:

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the one in the pic is the older version still made in italy.

a good price could be 150-200 Euros.

those basses are really big and sounds huge. really.

5. lzandman

lzandman

Jul 23, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Yeah, I agree. People warned me about the fact that acoustic basses weren't meant to be played without amplification, but this bass must be an exception. It sounds really loud and fat. I like it a lot, so I'll probably buy it. It's a great bass to take out into the garden and play. Ideal for practice, although it isn't suitable for slappin' 'n tappin'... :bassist:[​IMG]

6. isn't this bass short-scale?

I think one of these crops up in a couple of videos by The Cure- "the caterpillar" and "In between days".
    I'm not sure if it was used on any recordings though.

7. lzandman

lzandman

Jul 23, 2004
    The Netherlands
    No, it isn't.
    Mmmm. I'll be watching MTV for any Cure videos from now on :)

8. your_diamond

your_diamond

Sep 4, 2014
    Hello Big Bullfiddler,
    You found a picture of one of my EKO BA-4's.
    Wonderful Basses but even with great strings (like Thomastik AB344) it still needs a peizo pick up to be viable.
    But then again, we are in the 21ST Century, so every working musicians instrument should have a pick up in it.
    Regards,
    Michael
    FYI... The original EKO BA-4 were made in italy by Alfredo Bugari between the mid 1970's through 1987 (NOT sixties).
    The serial numbers were the manufacture dates.

9. your_diamond

your_diamond

Sep 4, 2014
    I should say that these sell from $350 to $800 USD for both fretless and fretted 4 strings.
    The rare SIX string versions (I owned one in the late 1980's) are worth $1000 or more.
    Both of the fretless I owned had fret markers.
    All Italian models had floating bridges with metal tailpieces EXCEPT THE BA-1-E.

IMHO all of these basses are very underpriced for solid wood guitars.

IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE SELLING AN ITALIAN MADE BA-1-E PLEASE CONTACT ME!
    Two people have told me they exist but these people may believe in UNICORNS, too!
    MICHAEL
    clusts at gmail

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. Dr H

Dr H

Aug 30, 2010
    England, UK
    I have a 4-string, fretless (unlined, no dot markers) - looks great, great projection and I absolutely love it.
    I had mine professionally set up with Fender flatwounds and it transformed the bass - much faster now.
    As a bonus, it cost me £20...

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    GTA
    The going price today for a fretted one in very good condition is $800.00

TD

12. Dr H

Dr H

Aug 30, 2010
    England, UK
    Blimey...and the price for a very good fretless one?

13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    GTA
    Probably the same if it's in the same condition and if you can find one.

TD

14. It has been so long since I have seen one of these come up on an auction site that I am curious as to your source for current price/value. $800 is considerably more than I paid for mine. And I've never seen a BA4 fretless with a bare board -- unmarked. Is that original?

There is a BA4 webpage, but it seems to not have been updated for a long time.

15. Dr H

Dr H

Aug 30, 2010
    England, UK
    It is entirely original - I've had it for some 20 years (and it was - barely - used by the previous owner who couldn't get on with the lack of frets/markings).
    I could post an image, but it looks virtually identical to this one: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fs-vintage-1981-eko-ba-4npe-fretless-acoustic-bass-guitar.967920/ although it has a piezoelectric bridge pickup.
    So, I see that I have a BA-4NPE (as the OP said, "BA" for "Basso Acustico", "-4" for 4-string. "N" for "no frets", "PE" for piezeoelectric pick-up)...neat.

16. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    :rollno:

17. Dr H

Dr H

Aug 30, 2010
    England, UK
    This isn't an 'all acoustic bass guitar', despite being pretty loud with good projection, it has a more than adequate piezoelectric pickup in the bridge...