1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Price of Lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Fourstringsonly, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

Is $60 per hr a reasonable rate for a good teacher?

2. oniman7

oniman7

I've never heard someone charge $60 for anything less than big name professional lessons. In my experience, unless you're at the highest level, look to pay between $20 and $40 an hour depending on age, experience, genre, education, and whether they have a studio to pay or rent

3. shackled

shackled

4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

It certainly can be, depending on the teacher and your location.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Since we don't know your location, that's hard to say. Here, that is a fairly standard rate, especially through music shops. I think it's rather expensive, unless it's a highly regarded teacher (being a good bass player doesn't make you a good teacher), but it is the going rate. I'd want to see some teaching credentials if it were me. Still, you can always try a few lessons, and decide if he/she is worth the money. If you give your general location, some of the members here might know who are the best teachers around.

7. alfoders

alfoders

World class bassist Dave LaRue charges $60/hour for lessons on Saturdays at Bass Central when he is not touring.

I'm currently paying $34/hour (2X a month) for beginners lessons from a professional bassist (recommended to me by Dave LaRue) who teaches at a local music store. He takes lessons from (and jams with) Dave LaRue and says he will send me "up" to Dave when I am ready.

8. Fourstringsonly

Fourstringsonly

9. Huge94

Huge94

Around $30/hour usually is the cost for a very good and experienced teacher. I'd say you are paying too much.

10. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Around here, $25-30 is the going rate for half hour lessons with a good teacher.

11. micgtr71

micgtr71

I would love to charge 60, but I think my students would stop coming.

12. Duckwater

Duckwater

Depends. Beginner lessons are usually cheap, but if you're at an advanced level and want help progressing further it can be quite expensive.

13. Already In Use

Already In Use

If ya can pay...go for the hour IMO.. A half hour is too short. Paid 50 for an hour here. Lessons from a guy who had degrees in music, taught at the state university, played in Nashville and was the principal bass in our local symphony.

14. thehindteet

thehindteet

60-80 is typical for an in-demand instructor in a major metro area.

15. oniman7

oniman7

For the record, as a teacher I charge $20 for an hour lesson. I teach technique, timing, theory, reading, writing, recording, working with a band, etc. What I don't bring to the table is formal education, decades of experience, or in depth jazz/classical studies that some guys have. If you want to learn rock, pop, metal, progressive rock, country, etc. I'm your guy. If you're my guitar student, I can't teach you Van Halen or John Petrucci, but I can teach you how to play songs in time with good technique and tone as well as chord studies. Anything more and I will send you to the guy who charges more

16. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I pay 60 an hour for skype lessons. It works for me, I record everything and even video it so I can refer back to it.

17. aguacateojos

aguacateojos Supporting Member

I've been paying $54 an hour - the instructor is excellent and I don't regret a single penny spent for them.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    If you're in Queens, I'd say that's a great price for a teacher, as long as he or she is a good teacher.

19. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

I've been teaching for over 35 years and currently teach in the southern Midwest. I charge $30 an hour because that's what the market will support where I live.
    I've been playing for 45 years and can play just about any style. I teach beginners to pros.

20. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I gladly paid that 12 years ago when studying with Bruce Gertz. So, my response is: maybe. Depends on where you live and who your instructor is.

21. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Disclosures:
    Too many to list.
    That depends on many factors.

If one is taking private lessons at a world renown conservatory, $60/hr would be deal (for the student).

Here, in Los Angeles, well-known private teachers can easily get $60+ per hour. At a music school/conservatory, such as the Colburn School, $100+ per hour is normal. With a conservatory, one will also have a world-class accompanist, a performance facility, and other perks.