1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

SOLD PRICED TO MOVE! Tobias Signature 5 CUSTOM Tiger Maple & Wenge Neck Through

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Neuroman, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Previously Stage 2 Gold Supporting Member

Price:
    Strings:
    Frets?:
    Yes
    For sale or trade is my Tobias Signature Custom 5 String.

Absolutely beautiful. Excellent condition. Straight Neck. Low Action No Buzz. Little to no fret wear. Buttery feel, bright, punchy, super growly tone. This bass has more growl than any bass I have ever played let alone owned.

Hardware is matte gold finish and in great condition. Very little oxidation/wear. The only real noticeable flaw from my perspective is the buckle rash in the cover plate on the rear (see photo). Otherwise this bass looks immaculate.

Per my inquiry regarding the serial number with Gibson: "The serial number is consistent with a Tobias Signature 5-string model, made in 2006 in Conway, Arkansas."

Here is a bit of history on this bass shared with me by a TBer whom worked at Gibson:

"That bass is a custom tobias. A builder named Tom Knoll made it and the 6 string on the website with the full top and lam headstock. He used his personal stash of spalted maple for that 6 string btw. No one in the conway plant knew how to glue a full top on the neck thru basses. Tom came in and was really turning the place around as you can see in these pictures. Tom and I quit on the same day from all the BS with the company. Worked out better for both of us and that is a great example of the work we were able to do before leaving. It's a wonderful instrument and I'm sure someone will enjoy it. It was called a signature because that was the most we could charge for an instrument. Even though it's not a signature "spec" it was called such to charge the maximum amount for custom order instruments. I hope this helps please PM if you have any more question.

Oh, and we called that the "Oreo Cookie" neck..;)"

SPEC:
    • Multi Layer Tiger Maple & Wenge Asymetrical Neck
    • Neck-thru construction
    • Dual truss rod
    • Tiger Maple/Wenge/Tiger Maple 3-layer bookmatched wings
    • Pau Ferro fretboard
    • 34" scale
    • 24 frets
    • 15" fret radius
    • ABM Brass bridge
    • Bartolini curve top pickups
    • Bass, Mid-range, Treble controls
    • Pan Pot pickup mixer to balance between pickups
    • Master Volume push/pull Slap Tone switch
    • Mid cut/boost switch
    • Satin gold hardware
    • Handrubbed polyurethane finish
    • Grover tuning keys (matte gold finish)
    • Abalone headstock inlay
    • New Medium Roundwound Strings
    • Original deluxe hardshell case included
    Priced to move - $2,600 shipped continental US only. Not interested in trades right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  2. TheWoodShed

TheWoodShed

3. Neuroman

Trade pending
  4. Neuroman

All trading and selling is on hold while I try to figure out what actual model this bass is.

1) It was sold to me as a Signature 5 and Gibson's response to my serial number inquiry is that it is "consistent with a signature 5 made in . . ."

2) It has Flamed Maple-Wenge-Flamed Maple three piece body wings which only the Signature model had

3) It has what looks to me like a 5 piece laminate asim neck through which only the Basic model had

4) It has a fully covered flamed maple body which NONE of the neck through asim models had.

I am wondering if this is really a Gibson Custom shop made to order Tobias and it got named a signature somewhere along the path?

Note that the Signature 5 model on the Gibson website says "9 piece asim neck" in the description but the neck looks exactly like the neck on my Tobias

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Tobias/Signature/

Put other models into the web address (replace Signature with Basic or classic) and you see what looks like 7 or 9 piece laminated necks but descriptions which don't match.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
  5. slamsinger

slamsinger Supporting Member

Email Brian Barrett at the lowend.net
    He's pretty good with Tobias gibson and pre-gibsons.. And all basses for that fact... Just a idea :)
  6. lsu921

lsu921 Supporting Member

If Gibson can't tell you what it is, then I'm not sure anyone else will unless you can somehow track down the original owner. To me it's at least a Classic (3 piece body wings) and possibly a Signature. Either way it's definitely a one off custom order. Maybe it's a Signassic or a Clasignature? :D

No matter what it is officially called it's beautiful. I thought long and hard about it before you bought it on eBay a while back.. It was and still is very tempting.
  7. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

That bass is a custom tobias. A builder named Tom Knoll made it and the 6 string on the website with the full top and lam headstock. He used his personal stash of spalted maple for that 6 string btw. No one in the conway plant knew how to glue a full top on the neck thru basses. Tom came in and was really turning the place around as you can see in these pictures. Tom and I quit on the same day from all the BS with the company. Worked out better for both of us and that is a great example of the work we were able to do before leaving. It's a wonderful instrument and I'm sure someone will enjoy it. It was called a signature because that was the most we could charge for an instrument. Even though it's not a signature "spec" it was called such to charge the maximum amount for custom order instruments. I hope this helps please PM if you have any more question.

Oh, and we called that the "Oreo Cookie" neck..;)
  8. Neuroman

Thank you Fivestringdan! Very helpful. This bass has significantly more value to me now knowing how unique it is among Gibson Tobias instruments.
  9. Neuroman

I love it! I am going to go with Clasignature for sure!
  10. celinder 72

celinder 72

Dan what you said backed up the stories I heard of the last Conway Tobias models.How ironic that when the Gibson era Tobias start to become something special ,Gibson shuts it down:rollno: It's really cool that you had something to do with those final basses Dan.
  11. cubanz

cubanz Supporting Member

I don't care what you call it, I wish I had the cash to grab it from you!
    "Oreo cookie" neck is perfect because it looks delicious.
    smith plyr likes this.
  12. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Thank you, I really have to give all credit to Tom Knoll. He and his family were Katrina survivors and relocated to Little Rock from the Mississippi coast. He had his own business building unfinished custom instrument. Very talented individual and I was extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to work with him. We were just trying to build the best instruments possible under extremely poor production conditions. The spray room didn't have humidity control for example.(I have hundreds of examples) :rollno:

13. Neuroman

I am going to keep her for now.
  14. Neuroman

OK. She is back on the market. I think I am ready.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  15. portraitoftracy

portraitoftracy

How much does she weigh?
  16. Neuroman

10lbs bathroom scale.
  17. Neuroman

Sale Pending Payment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.