1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Primadonna & The Buzzkills

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Hey,
    Questions:
    I have been lucky enough in my sojourn to play with some great bands with mad chemistry. In addition, I have had the fortunate experience of doing session work for great musicians who taught me a great deal. On the other hand, I have experienced mad drama (sometimes within those "great" bands), and I have dealt with BLs from hell (and after nightmare-ish soundchecks with Jazz-holes received standing "o"s after all is said and done)

Presently I am playing with a guy (Description: I made this record at the same studio that X recorded at...blah blah blah. Yet, I am an "unknown".) Ironically, after he burnt his "industry" bridges, we are letting him open for us, and we are backing him up. Well, he is starting to show his colors. He is picky, and every rehearsal is an exercise in "struggle" and micro-management. Throw in the eccentric singer/songwriter type with "small ears", and you get the "anti-fun league. Moreover, we don't jive musically or spiritually, but we have to get through this show. On the other hand, my band is known for a fun show, and we work hard at evolving our improv. skills, but not in a jam-band sorta way.

This got me to thinking. I feel at this point in my life that I only want to play in a situation if it is fun. I don't mind rigor and hard work mind you, but the pleasure factor has to be there.
    What are your opinions/approaches to this? Again, I have had no fun and have still put on a well-received show. Is fun a factor for you, or is the thrill of achievement more important? I know that these can go hand in hand.

2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I 100% agree that it must be a pleasureable experience or I don't want to keep doing it. At the same time you are going to go through ups and downs with any bands so you have to decide how you are going to deal with the situations you find yourself in. If you absolutely can't have a good experience and you don't see a way to change it...I would be out of there.

Normal band up and downs and disagreements are going to happen....there is no way to avoid it. If you are looking for a perfect situation that will stay that way forever, you are not going to find it. It doesn't exist and you know that by now. So you have to find a way to deal with the situation and still gain enough satisfaction out of it to make it worth your while.

Things that make me think about quitting from time to time......

- playing some of the same freaking songs over and over again
    - dragging my rig around
    - not enough gigs
    - not enough pay
    - disagreements in the band on basic stuff that seem to happen over and over
    - promoting constantly

But none of that is bad enough at this point in time to make me want to quit my current situation.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The truism goes;

The music
    The hang
    The money

Got two/three? Stay a bit longer.
    Otherwise, Go.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: For me - if its not fun, its got to pay a lot or I won’t do it!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Personally, I find myself always trying to decide if the tradeoff results in a net positive. I have never had a 100% satisfying gig, nor a total waste. Every situation has positives and negatives, and the positives have to outweigh the negatives for it to make sense.

The Music/Money/Hang matrix mentioned above never worked for me because each of those has to be viewed as black or white for it to work. But I have never TOTALLY loved nor hated any of them enough to call it black or white; they're always all in shades of gray. Plus there are many more variables than those three, at least for me. And FUN is a biggie.

7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

I love playing in a band with little or no drama. We've all had those "situations" from time to time. I suppose the Music/Money/Hang matrix is as good a way as any to quantify it. But I think it boils down to this... being a professional means doing a good job (doing your best) whether you feel like it or not.

I think you have the right attitude and you'll get though this. Hopefully yours is not a permanent situation and you'll be able to get back to your normal fun after your run with Mr. Primadonna. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. JakeF

JakeF

Hire a stripper.

See how well his act holds up against sexy female flesh.

9. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self! Supporting Member

I played with them for a while, back in '91! What a great band! Too bad they broke up...

for the 35th time...

jerks.

10. avvie

avvie

I'm getting restless, myself.

My current primary band is the first one I found 5 years ago. Been through a lot with a few changes, mostly positive; but there have been plenty of negatives too and some of them I now see are never, ever going to go away. Add to that a situation I described in another thread concerning Jack Hole (the new guy) and I'm thinking it's time to roll.

I've established enough street cred in the past five years to not worry about finding a gig...I should be able to pull out the list of references and have no problem. On top of that it's pretty well known that I am one of the primary reasons for the success of this current band.

Now, this band is just starting a spinoff project and I should be happy to be part of that but it still contains a HUGE negative, so I don't have much hope for it. I gotta push my secondary projects....because I DO need the money, and I DO love to perform live. I don't want to play in any more unfun or dramatic situations, though... I'm over it.