1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Prince band solos from 1987

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Has anyone ever seen this. This is the first time I have seen his bass player Levi actually solo at 2:15 into the video. Sheila E on drums was jamming. thought it was pretty cool

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5r1TfPnIZdw

2. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

No, no one has ever seen that. ;)

Sorry... couldn't resist.

That's a cover of Charlie Parker's "Now's The Time" from the "Sign 'O' The Times" live DVD, filmed in Rotterdam.

I was lucky enough to be at the only US performance of that tour, and I also own the DVD - I highly recommend it.

:bassist:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I noticed Levi Searcer played his solo with a pick. He sounded great! Sheila E was fantastic too. I have been crushing on that woman since 1977 when I saw her picture on Alphonso Johnson's first solo album.

4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Lol...you got me I walked into that one. On a serious note that is the first time I have seen it but I'm a late comer to everything anyhow. I also thought Levi was a left-handed bass player?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

When I saw the show, Levi played right-handed and with a pick the whole time. I've never heard anything about him playing lefty or finger-style.

Grab that DVD, if you can - it's a great concert.

[​IMG]

7. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    On-again-and-off-again Prince bassist Sonny T is a lefty. Levi has played guitar and bass with Prince and is a righty.

8. JimK

JimK

Another nice Prince DVD is Live at the Aladdin, Las Vegas.
    Like the above youtube link...the soloists often veer off into Jazz-ville.
    At the Aladdin has Rhonda Smith on bass; Sheila E. is killin' it on percussion.

Wow-
    Just peeked at Amazon; looks like I won't be buying the Sign "☮" the Times DVD any time soon ($100+).
    The Aladdin DVD is about $16, FWIW.

9. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

I have that concert on VHS, great stuff. Prince always had killer bands!

10. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Princ has always had top notch musicians.I wonder where they all are now that are no longer with him. Brown mark the bass player was from Minneapolis I'm not sure what he is up to now. I went to highschool with him. He is one awesome dude.