Pringles,

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by shadowtippy, Jan 5, 2014.

1. shadowtippy

shadowtippy

I stopped at Walmart for a few things this morning and decided I would get some Pringles to use to finish off some dip I have. I'm not saying that Pringles are the best chip, or even my favorite chip, but they are what I wanted today. I got to the shelves where they are located and there were no "regular" Pringles. There were 16 flavors available, none of which I wanted.
    What's the deal here? Does nobody eat plain, unflavored chips? There wasn't even an empty space where they should have been.
    I had to make do with Ruffles, not a bad potato chip, just not what I wanted. Oh, the humanity of it all.
  2. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

that's what you get for stopping at Hellmart.

Personally i'm just bummed they don't make Bacon Ranch flavor anymore. At least not in canada
  3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Blame the attack of the ultra-wanna-be-foodies...

You can't get Pringle-flavored Pringles.
    You can't get coffee-flavored coffee.
    You can't get vodka-flavored vodka.

And mostly, I like playing bass-flavored bass...
  4. fmoore200

fmoore200

Sour cream and onion ftw!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tplyons

tplyons

I'm a sour creme and onion guy... but that's a classic flavor.

Sometimes you do want to taste the reformed potato powder.

That's why original should be available. I get sad when I can't find original anything these days.
  7. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Schroeder Cabinets
    I've got a great Pringles story with pics! My lady and I flew back from North Carolina to San Diego last winter. We brought snacks for the flight and one of them was an unopened, fully sealed container of Pringles. We never opened the Pringles on the flight and i wasn't prepared for what i saw when we got home and opened them.

The "chips" had compressed into a uniform stack of the Pringles, and they had sunk about 3 inches into the container (see photo). I tried to pull out one pringle and the whole stack came out as one. Completely compressed. Awful tasting too. Not the best pics, but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Pringles aren't potato chips. They are made from dough.
  9. cba_bass

cba_bass

Sour cream and onion rocks!
  10. pica

pica

Lay's Stacks are much better for dip. They're a little thicker then Pringles and only come in like 3 or 4 flavors.
  11. Richland123

Richland123

12. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Holy Shite, that's a lot of Pringles lovin' right there. I need to hit the Men's room now...
  13. netface

netface

ever fart in a pringles can?
  14. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star Supporting Member

I don't know anything about foodies (people that practice foodism? :confused:), but there are definitely corporate guys in lab coats that decide that taco shells need to be made of flavor-dusted corn chips and that the caesar dressing on your drive-thru salad should be lemon flavored (as well as already being caesar dressing flavored). :rolleyes:

Would you like some mango-chipotle salsa with your Buffalo-wing-and-ranch chips? You can wash it down with a vanilla-cherry Dr. Pepper.

:D
  15. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

No but I'm sure that flavor isn't that far off from development.
  16. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I enjoy Pringles, however, I find them too thin to dip. The chip often breaks off before I can eat it. I'd much rather a ruffled-style chip if I have dip.
  17. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

18. line6man

line6man

Has anyone tried the Pecan Pie Pringles? I've got to admit, they sounded nasty until I actually tried them, but they are delicious. I don't taste any pecan pie, but I do taste pancake syrup.:hyper:
  19. elgecko

elgecko

1) I've never really thought about the creepy uniformity of Pringles. It's obvious now that they aren't prefect sliced potatoes.

2) Pringles make awesome tinder. They're a bit hard to get going but once they're lit, they burn nice and long. Try it!
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Pringles trivia

The drum that cuts the basic shape rotates into hot oil while holding the raw potato mixture so they all fry up in a uniform shape.

This drum was one of the first non military pieces made using CNC machining.

Pringles are potatoes, but they do resemble dough when they reach the final cut and fry part of the process. It's basically mashed potatoes with most of the water removed then rolled out in a thin sheet and run through the process.

Last of all, a pringles potato chip can (with metal ends removed) is an ideal ring compressor for a Triumph 650 piston.
  21. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star Supporting Member

R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-ruffles are c-c-c-c-c-c-c-corrugated

Structural integrity is important.