Private parties can be off the chain

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by plankspanker13, Feb 9, 2014.

1. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Last night was the second engagement in the home of a close friend and fan of the band, within the last calendar year. The place was just built to entertain, and we put it to good use, making the large wood-floored family room our performance space and dance floor. The subwoofers stayed home, with the 15" mains; we sang through 12" mains, and had our vocal monitors (also 12"). I played through my Genz Shuttle 3.0 combo (175w into a 10"), and was deemed too loud, at first, but eventually, got to "just right."

We did setup in the mid-afternoon, except for me. I had to go work a beer promo, so I just arrived with the first of the guests, and did my minimal setup easily. It was probably better that it worked that way. I got to play a mean game of croquet, in the back yard.

The time to perform arrived, and singerbabe & drummer had yet to arrive. The g/f was feeling frisky, and I got an impish look in my eye....

We emerged from a bathroom, ten minutes later (NOTE: I did not finish what was started), and saw that singerbabe was there (she had the start time written down wrong). We chose to start, without the drummer, since the host of the party plays a bit of drums, himself. He sat in, and we carried on. Obviously, something had happened, but the show had to go on. A backup drummer was called, and my g/f started working the texts with our drummer's g/f, to get the explanations.

It turned out that our drummer had been taken to the hospital, incoherent. I know more of the medical issues involved, but don't want them to become a discussion item, here. He's home, recovering, already. I pity his g/f, who also happened to lose her own father, the same day. It may be that the stress associated with that loss (which was not a sudden thing) was a contributing factor to drummerman's own episode.

Meanwhile, the backup drummer was KILLER, on a kit that was not even his own. He just ruled, matching my Entwistlian fills with consistent ease and precision. The friends and fans could all experience the tight groove, and great vibe. Many said that they had not seen me smile as much, when playing, as I did, during this gig. We played long, and just enjoyed the flow. It would seem that we might have yet another lineup change, if the stamina issues related to our drummer-of-record's diabetic concerns dictate that he curtail his activities, and the replacement guy wants the job (he has unanimous support from the rest of the band). It's a good thing that we have the next weekend off, and a trio of high-profile gigs, in 2 weeks. Things are gonna get rather interesting.

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Bonus points for using the term "Entwistlian" in a sentence!

Hope your drummer's OK. Glad the rest of it worked out... and that you eventually finish whatever it was you started. :eyebrow:

3. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Sounds like it worked out great. Unfortunately, the last private party I played at was in a back yard in a crappy part of Mesa. It was a Halloween party. We got there (we were one of three bands) and there was no PA set up and no obvious outlets. Somebody managed to scrounge an extension cord and piece together the PA. We are a two piece, drums and bass/vocals so set up was quick but no monitors made for a miserable set for me. The guy the asked us to play was in one of the other bands and asked me at the last minute if he could borrow my rig. I begrudgingly let him use it but that meant we had to sit through their set when all we wanted to do was get out of there. We loaded up my basses and the drum set then waited for the show to end. Thankfully they finished so I almost ran over and hauled my half stack away. Just as we were wheeling it out of the gate to put it in my truck, the cops were walking in. We threw my stuff in back and took off before we found out what happened. Nightmare gig.

4. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

Yeah. We have to get it to Webster's. Urban Dictionary first, maybe?

My thoughts of support to your drummer. While not knowing the facts, I have had a diabetic family member battle indulgences of "normal" life. He didn't make it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

The first private party I played at was a college frat party. I was 15 at the time. What an eye opener.

7. Ironbar

Ironbar

Isn't this how Rush started?

8. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!!

Off the chain? Is it 2002?

9. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Making fun an individual's choice of words on the internet? Is it 2014?

10. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Since I have already used "Entwistlian," perhaps ggoat would do well to remember when the Ox left us, before opening a virtual pie-hole about 2002. I might have been subconsciously going for 2002, all along.

11. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!!

You all gots me soooooo drove!!!

12. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

Valentine's Day, and the band has the weekend off. Something's gonna get finished.