pro audio spkr in a bass amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by clemford, Mar 5, 2014.

1. clemford

clemford

hello, would a Peavey 1508-8 sps speaker, which is a pro audio subwoofer rated @ 40hz-2khz / 1000 watt,work in a 100 watt bass amp with a tweeter or would the huge power rating difference just absorb the power with minimal output. thanks
  2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I think you are asking if your 100 watt bass amp could drive your peavey speaker. Without knowing the specifics of either component, I would say probably yes. As far as how loud it will be, I cannot comment. Just keep in mind that in the most general case, 10x the power results in twice the loudness.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

On second thought, maybe you are asking if the speaker can replace the speaker in a combo. Bass speakers are designed with work within cabs with particular designs. The most important is sealed vs ported cab. They also require a particular interior volume and port design. So, while it may work, there is no guarantee without first knowing about the speaker requirements and the cab design. You may end up damaging the speaker.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would never want a bass speaker that only goes up to 2k without a mid driver covering those higher frequencies. Way too dark for my tastes. 4k is much more reasonable for a speaker in a bass cab. A 100w amp will power it fine, though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. clemford

clemford

This is just an inexpensive Ibanez SWX100 amp that came with a 4 ohm spkr. The spkr in it really flabs out fairly easily and sounds like it could blow when cranked up. The amp is rated at 150w @4 ohms and 100 @ 8 ohms. It's a ported thiele cab. I'd normally never put a pro audio subwoofer in a guitar amp but it's a nib spkr. I can't find any frequency graph on the peavey to see the dropoffs but I really didn't think the difference between 2khz and 4khz would be that significant. Even though it's a 165.00 speaker nib that might be had for 50.00, maybe I should pass on it.
  7. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    It will work but you´ll have a very scooped tone because of the gap between sub and tweeter.
  8. clemford

clemford

the amp sounds real good stock up to a point so there's no sense of putting a big block in a pinto. thanks for all your responses.
  9. Sartori

Sartori

Subwoofer drivers aren't meant to cover a very large frequency spectrum. True bass guitar drivers are. AS to the difference between cutting off at 2khz and 4khz being negligible... I don't agree, at all.
  10. clemford

clemford

I didn't mean it that way. I just never thought it would be much of a difference. Obviously it must be though. When I use an eq with my regular guitar it doesn't seem to make a big difference in that spectrum.

It seems like a heck of a good deal for the spkr though, and the low end would probably be much tighter than the el cheapo stock spkr.

Do any bass amps come with midrange drivers, since they do come with tweeters, or would that be strictly a pro audio 3 way set up.
  11. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Lots of 2 and 3 way bass cabs around. Combos, too, but mostly just with a tweeter. Either way, sure, there are lots of crossed-over bass rigs around.
  12. clemford

clemford

If there's room, I might add a midrange then. Would any 5" type pro audio spkr be ok?
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

a closer metaphor would be putting giant racing tires on that pinto with the same wimpy engine.

with bass and PA cabs it's all about having the exact right speaker for the cab, even if it has less "watts" than some other speaker.
  14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

would you also be adding the sophisticated crossover network needed to make a mid-driver do its job?
  15. clemford

clemford

if I can fit one in, I'd probably just use a cap but I don't think there's room in the cab. like you said earlier, it's hardly worth it since it's really just a small cafe or practice amp. It does sound nice but it just seems like the speaker is so underrated in comparison to the amp. I have to back the bass way off which defeats the purpose. At low levels it really is a nice warm amp. Good for bedroom practicing especially. And the peavey is an 8 ohm which would further cut the power. not to mention, the 8 ohms might not be compatible with the tweeter for impedance matching. the tweeters probably a 4 ohm like the stock 15. If I can buy the spkr for the 50.00 I offered, I can always sell it for that if it doesn't work out 2 way.
  16. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Carvin has some very good bass speakers at great pricing
    I have an old 15" 400 watt ceramic magnet speaker in a TL606 cabinet and it didn't sound that much better with a 3015
    IMO/IME
  17. Sartori

Sartori

I don't mean this as an insult, believe me, but have you had a hearing test recently? 2khz versus 4khz is a pretty significant difference.

Some bass cabs do come with a midrange driver, btw. Some of the most well known ones around here are the Greenboy fEarful series.
  18. clemford

clemford

None taken, and thanks for your replies as well. When I use an mxr 10 band eq with my strat, from the little I've used it, I really never noticed a huge difference between that area when cutting it or boosting it. It seems more pronounced in the 400 to 600 hz area. In the upper khz area, it all seems like high frequencies. At least with regular guitar. I'll have to try it tonight and cut out those particular frequencies to see the difference. I don't doubt your word though. It's a good point and it'll help me to decide whether it's worth getting the speaker as don't think there's room for a mid.
  19. clemford

clemford

tried out my eq flat and cut the 4k band down all the way and it definately sounded flat with less zing. I would think it would dull slap n pop that way.

Looking at some bass drivers, most seem to go up to 3 and 3.5khz. And most horn drivers, possibly like the one I have in my amp, seem to pick up at 1Khz, so I might be ok with the 2khz spkr, providing that a horn tweeter is faithful at reproducing the same frequencies as the bass driver does from 1khz on up.

I have also read that some think a tweeter is useless at any distance other than close up in a bass amp so if that is true, the the need for a fuller range bass driver would seem significant.
  20. Sartori

Sartori

I just tend not to like how tweeters sound. Not really a distance thing. But people go for a wide variety of different tones.
  21. clemford

clemford

forgot to follow up. I ended up buying the spkr for 50.00

it's brand new in box, never mounted. Even though the guy advertised it as a 1508-8, it was actually a 2006 1505-8 DT BW which is supposedly better for my application. Peavey claims it has extended mid frequencies.

Haven't had a chance to try it out but it seems like a good enough deal for 50 dollars.