1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Pro FX 12 or the 1202 vlz3 which Mackie Mixer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rokkitt, Feb 17, 2013.

1. rokkitt

rokkitt

Hello,

I am starting to record at home, and I also want a mixer so myself and the drummer in our band can do a "lockdown mix" for IEMs if we get them

but more for the recording at home, with my bass and a vocal mic....I sing backups, and a lead on a song or two.

I have the 1202 vlz3 right now, but I can take it back to get the pro fx12

I like the extra buttons and bells on the pro FX12....haha

I have heard that the mic preamps on the 1202 vlz 3 are very very good.....but I cant really tell, I have never had anything to listen to compare it to.

I am a beginner at recording, and I realize the benefits it can provide to increasing my playing, and my singing abilities , and the ability to do both at the same time...

any suggestions?

allen aka rokkittBass
  2. Chromer

Chromer

Is the ProFX the version with the USB port? If so, you'll find that to be VERY useful paired up with some DAW software as it can be your audio interface. The VLZ series don't have USB in/outs (yet).

For close-mic'd vocals, the preamps on the ProFX will almost certainly be fine. And you can always add a "boutique" outboard preamp later, if you want.
  3. rokkitt

rokkitt

The pro FX does have a usb

Good call! i do like that feature
    ..I can get rid of my other interfaces

What about the bus systems?

Are they similar? is there direct patch thru if needed on the pro FX?

I am new to mixers...and I am learnig on the way

Basically ...I dont want to lose any bus or patchng capability...I am goig to use the mixer in a recordig environment just..for me and maybe the drummer...and during live shows as well ...for iem's if we get them

Along wih a rolls pm-351 of course! Peeps on here rave about that...lol

Thnaks for all the advice.....Allen
  4. Chromer

Chromer

Ah, well if you already have a decent interface, the VLZ is the better mixer from a construction and components perspective.

As for the bus/insert questions, well, the manuals are on Mackie's site...