Probably been coverd before but am asking anyway.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joel406, Mar 31, 2014.

1. joel406

joel406

I have a Hartke stack. HA 7000 head running 2 410xl cabs. Is there any opinion on running 1 410 and one 115 instead of 2 410s? Looking for a smoother tone. Opinions please.

2. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

do a google search. i expect you will find dozens of threads and thousands of replies. to sum up: acoustic theory says it is a bad idea. some people like the way bad ideas sound in the real world. you will not know for yourself until you try.

3. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Covered to death, just do a search

Bad combo

4. joel406

joel406

Sorry just a thought that came to mind figured I would ask on a whim.

I'll just stick with the 2 410 arrangement.

Sorry

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

or go with 2x15. bam

7. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    No need to apologize. Your arranagement is better technically than the 410/115. For smoother tone, I might try plugging into something like an Ampeg 810 instead.

8. eukatheude

eukatheude

In short, most probably it's a bad idea.
    HOWEVER, with some cabs it might sound good to your ears and perform nicely, though that's rarely the case. No way to know besides trying.

9. Linnin

Linnin

All Neo Twelves. As Many As You Need ;)

10. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I have no idea what that means. Are you saying all neo 12's are the same?

11. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Do you know for sure that you like the amp? It might not be the cabs that you aren't liking.

The reasons, as far as I can gather from my time here on TB, that the 115/410 combo is a bad idea are solid. The most important one (IMO) is that few 1x15 cabs can handle the power and go as low as their counterpart 4x10. The 4x10 almost inevitably ends up on the top of the stack, blasting the user in the ears. The 1x15 struggles to keep up, but the 4x10 is drowning it out, and POP goes the 1x15.
    There is also data that shows that dispersion suffers, and out in the room there will be dead spots or hot spots. It's just that the drawbacks can be minute. You can put the 1x15 on top, and don't push it too hard, backing off if it starts farting. You use FOH and only have the rig to monitor yourself on stage, so why worry about comb filtering? The 1x15/4x10 rig is what's been marketed to us, in spite of what acoustic data and real world experiences have shown. It's just not AS GOOD of an idea as using two matching cabs, and I don't think there's ever been a good reason to do it besides for manufacturers to sell more stuff. As stated, only you can really make that call. The most logical solution might be to re-evaluate your amp with those speakers if you're getting a sound you aren't happy with. If you know it isn't the amp, then you may want to try other big cabs--2x15, 6x10, 8x10, different models or brands of 4x10s, maybe 2x12?

12. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Your 410 cab I believe has the metal cone speakers. They tend to sound a bit harsher than the paper cone speakers. Another 410 cab with paper cone speakers might mellow out the sound some. Make sure it has the same ohm and power ratings as your current speaker. A 15 with a paper cone will also mellow it out but it's hard to get even power to mixed speakers. Two new (or used) 410 cabs with paper cones is the best route but I don't know what your budget is and this is the most expensive of the solutions. Now I have to go hide for even suggesting mixed cabs in here.:bag:

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

He means the rig should consist of all 12" neo drivers, the amount is to be determined by the OP's needs.

14. joel406

joel406

Actually I am happy with the full Hartke matched rig. Since I got the 2 410s I have put the 15 aside and it sits in the corner with a neglected GK 210 cab. Was playing with my tone nob on my Jazz and started thinking about mixing and matching these cabs and wondered what the 115 could add to the 2 410 mix. then I start thinking about hooking everything up at once. You know, 10 10s and a 15. Hmmmm. Might be a bad idea impedance wise, by my calculation I would drop to 2 ohm. Don't think my head does that.

15. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

"Smoother" tone will come from different cabs. If you want to stay with Hartke look into the HyDrives.

16. NWB

NWB

Yeah, don't do that. I doubt that head can do two ohms.

17. NWB

NWB

Yeah, my Hydrive 112's sound very good. I don't have any experience to extend that opinion to the other cabs in the line though.

18. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    I think I see what's up. You have enough gear, it meets your needs, and you like your tone. Better be careful, there, joel, there might be some GAS for you coming up. :) It's a hard thing to resist. It seems you have a bit of a small rig option, too. Using the 115/210 is a bit safer for the 115. Still a mixed driver rig, but may provide tone options your 2x410 rig doesn't. I don't know your amp, but I don't like 2Ω load rigs. They scare me. I wouldn't try hooking it all up at once. :0

19. joel406

joel406

my head hurts...

20. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

If he is saying getting anything with neo-12's is the answer, that is naive. Speaker size does not matter. What matters is speaker design and cab design. You should evaluate a cab based on loudness, portability, form factor, and tone needs; not size of speakers.

21. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Better than hurting your amp head, a couple aspirin won't fix the amp head ;).
    Speaker "size" does not equal "tone" is the point here :) A 10" cab can be smooth and deep sounding and a 15" can be low end shy and grating. It is the speaker design coupled with the cab designed for it that makes the "tone" character.
    "Brands" of speaker cabs and models from the same maker can sound very different regardless of the speaker size alone.