1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Problem Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by redrabbie, Apr 1, 2013.

1. redrabbie

redrabbie

Any ideas concerning my 1981 P Bass. It has roundwound strings fitted and when playing octaves quite quickly there is a lot of resonance. So much so its difficult to get separation between running notes.

Also when slowly repeating say an A on the top string
    (on fret 2) the other open strings particularly the A string rings so much it interferes.

The neck is also very sensitive if you tap it on the rear side when the amp is on it resonates a lot.

Any ideas?
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Is this a new bass? new strings?
  3. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Pickups too high.
  4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

All basses resonate, but we deal with it by muting the unplayed strings. I'm not trying to be mean - do you know how to palm & finger mute? If so, then you're saying this particular bass resonates more than others you have played and can't be controlled by muting?
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

That just sounds like typical string resonance to me, not an indication that this is a "problem bass". The way to fix it is generally to work on string muting technique.
  6. ggunn

ggunn

As others have said, it's not the bass, it's your technique. Muting unplucked strings was a pain at first for me, but now it's second nature. I mostly mute the strings above (in pitch) from the one I am playing with my left hand and the ones below it (ditto) with my right.
  7. redrabbie

redrabbie

Thanks for your posts so far. I'm a newbie as far as bass playing goes hence my question. However, this bass is new to me (1981 P Bass) but I do have 2 other basses (new Fender Jazz & 1983 Elite P Bass) and neither rings out like this one??

The other aspect of the sound is that I get the harmonic octave when I pluck the string hard.

The strings are new roundwounds so perhaps part of the answer but I'm sure I dont dampen the strings either - new skill to work on then.
  8. cnltb

cnltb

isn't this a muting-technique issue?
    As to the bass; Not a problem at all, I think, but quite desireable:)(Imho).
  9. chadds

chadds

Sounds very desirable!!
  10. maxgrant

maxgrant Supporting Member

Perhaps what you are describing is the sound of one of your pickups going microphonic.

This happens when the potting flakes off or whatever from your windings. It would cause your bass to seem a lot squeakier, and then it will tip over into full-throated howling when you least expect it.

However, you should make a brief recording of the phenomenon. Then we will be able to identify it much more clearly.
  11. zazz

zazz

Yeah ..you have to get into the whole muting ..ghost note type feel .....the ringing out on certain notes is the same with most necks...they all have dead spots and ring out more where there aren't any.
  12. chadds

chadds

Just send me the bass and quit whining. ;)
  13. cnltb

cnltb

I too offer a caring home and purpose filled life to this unruly instrument.
    Just pm me and soon you'll be rid of all your worries as far as this particular instrument is concerned. ;)
  14. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 Here :)
  15. redrabbie

redrabbie

ok thanks for the advice guys. Looks like its me that's got to improve then.