1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Problem - Fender Bassman TV Duo Ten

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joww, Nov 29, 2013.

1. joww

joww

Hello everyone!

I am a new member here, but I've already know this place and always read something here. I'm from Brazil and just love to play the bass.

Well... formalities aside, I have a problem:

I bought a Fender Bassman TV Duo Ten amplifier, and just love how it sounds with my mexican precision bass. Just amazing vintage sound that I can't explain.

But when I turn the Gain knob and the volume knob to 6 or more, I can hear a little "shake" sound, and the higher I turn the knobs (gain/volume) it gets worse and soud like a overdrive pedal.

Is this normal for this amp? I think it's kind of strange, because the amp is a 350 combo, so it should hold until the max volume...

It's a brand new amp that I bought in a near music store (by order) and I don't know what to do.

Someone that have the Duo Ten can help me with this?

Thanks and sorry about my english, I know it isn't the best... hahaha

Regards
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It is normal. Most amps run out of "clean sound" between 4 and 6 (11:00 and 1:00). Those that were designed to not do this are labeled as "weak" because they do not get loud fast enough.
  3. joww

joww

Hmm, understood. I thought this can be louder as a 350 watt and 2x10 speakers... so, when performing it get better using the line out to PA speakers?
  4. B-string

The speakers are limiting the volume (loudness). You can't get that much from 2 10" speakers in a small cabinet no matter what "wattage" you throw at them.
  5. joww

joww

Thinking well, it is true.
    By the way, the 1x15 one is louder?

The loudness is good for me, and it sounds warm (I play flatwound strings) and fits with my kind of sound. But in gigs I don't know if it holds.

A little more question: It has a lineout to PA speakers, so it can be much louder?

Thank you, I was afraid it was a real problem with the speakers.
  6. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I had the same amp she's gone for that very reason.
  7. B-string

A single 15" is not going to be louder. Yes the "Direct Out" (XLR) is to go to a PA system to make you heard better.
  8. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

I own the TV15, and I will say that it is capable of pretty loud volume for a single fifteen. I don't know if there was a major difference in build between the 15 and the duo ten or the size of the speaker is a major factor, but mine doesn't fall apart like it sounds yours is doing at those settings. When I was playing that as my main amp, I was running gain at 7 or 8 and master at about 8 or 9. Additionally, I was driving it with other gain pedals. At those settings I admit I was really pushing its limits but I also felt like it held up fairly well.

As far as it "sounding like a overdrive pedal" at medium gain, it is because at a certain point you start to saturate the preamp tube which will cause your amp to overdrive. Your P bass probably has fairly hot pickups and therefore a stronger/louder signal. If you play with a pick, the amp is actually pretty capable of some nice grind and I would assume the smaller driver may accentuate that a bit.

Are you experiencing something like this (watch until 5:15 or so)