1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Problem Installing TI Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Old Fart, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

I don't have a camera. 34" scale Am P bass. Normally, the part of a string that winds around the post is thinner than the rest of the string. The fat part of the TI E string is so long that it begins to wind around the post. This changes the angle. It causes the string to come through the nut at an angle. The string is so long, the unwrapped metal part is likely to touch the post.

Should I run the string (flat wound) through the body? Should I not worry about the nut angle problem?
  2. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Don't worry about coming through the nut at an angle. The string should ideally be angling down (from the nut) to the post. That ensures a solid connection with the nut (i.e. the string breaks up and over the nut).
  3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Some strings can't deal with having the thick part wrapped around the post. As far as I know, TI Jazz flats are not one of them.
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I've put TI Flats on 4 different P-Basses.
    Never had a problem.
    Just put a set on my new 2013 AV 63 P-Bass.
    Smooth sailing.
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Did you get the extra longs or long scale?

They should come up right to the edge of the tuner if long scale.
  6. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

If it's just a bit of bare metal on the tuner post I wouldn't worry. I've had this on a couple of basses with no issues. The round wound with a tape wrap construction makes them more forgiving than other flats in terms of breakage.

I'm inclined to say don't worry about the nut angle thing but without a pic I'm not gonna completely go there.
  7. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

I have been running flats through body for over twenty years and never had a problem. I currently have a flat B string run double through body (Birdsong HY5) with no problem.
  8. Limo

Limo Gold Supporting Member

This might sound dumb but have you clipped off some of the excess material?
  9. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Dont worry about it.
    Been using TI flats for years on my p bass and it is nothing to worry about. This usually happens with the E string and it causes no problems. My set has been like that for 3 years now
  10. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Flats are much fussier than rounds when it comes to this, but TI Flats are one of the hardiest strings around as far as tolerating bends and going up on the posts. I wouldn't worry about it.

I have had GHS, La Bella, and Pyranid flats break going around posts/through bodies/across sharp bridge angles, but never TI.
  11. neckdive

neckdive

If you have the option of running through the body you should try that but if you have already clipped the extra silk lead wire that might not leave you enough to go around the post. TIs are quite flexible but the winding could become stressed if a lot is wrapped. Without photos, it's tough to diagnose and troubleshoot better.

Depending on how much playable string is wrapping you can try shimmimg at the bridge by running the string through a correctly-sized nut or socket before going through the hole in the bridge if you are top-loading. It may look a little bizarre but if it helps relieve stress and sounds better, try it.

However, since TIs are very flexible, if the string is not popping out of the nut and/or the E sounds just fine it's likely stressing you more than it's stressing the string.
  12. Old Fart

Old Fart

False alarm. Transplant went just fine. Patient is resting comfortably.

These TIs are interesting. They are replacing a DEAD AS A DOORNAIL set of Chrome Flats I have been playing for more than a year. The TIs will take some getting used to.
  13. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

Do not hasten to judgement on them; they take a while to "settle in". I like them a lot.
  14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

I know it's heresy but you might raise your action a tad. If you're used to Chromes, that can help avoid some grounding out. I've settled on that over the years as I run borh Chromes and TI's on different basses. I just find that for me just a smidge of extra height get's me playing cleaner with Ti's. YMMv and all the other 49 disclaimers....
  15. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Well definitely don't be scared to run those TI's through the body if you need to shorten the length a bit. I've been doing it for a while with no issues. Enjoy!
  16. vince a

vince a

Ditto what 4Mal said . . . I discovered the same thing . . . Chromes on my Jazz and P 4 strings are about 5 years old . . .
  17. Linnin

Linnin

You are going to need a totally new set-up. The T-I Jazz Flats are a lot lower in tension than Chromes (or any other flat for that matter). I went from rounds to Jazz Flats and transition was little easier. I got 5 good years out of that set. Their tone was excellent. It did take some truss rod tweaks here and there, plus bridge adjustments = raising the action and re-intonate a couple of times. But after that they were rock solid and sounded great. Enjoy! :cool:
  18. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

I run TIs on most of my basses, and if I'm going from (higher tension) standard gauge strings to TIs, I just automatically loosen the truss rod 1/4 turn to account for the TIs lower tension before I even put em on. Since TIs have less tension than pretty much all other strings, they will not bow the neck as much (and at least some relief is needed). So taking a little bit out of the truss will allow the neck to bow easier with that lower tension.

Sometimes I'll have to re-adjust a bit more or less, but 1/4 turn usually does the trick. That will also effectively raise the action back close to where it was with the standard strings. Then I make any fine string height adjustments at the bridge (if it's buzzing in the upper frets), re-intonate and good to go.
  19. MR PC

MR PC

This is important. Sounds like you have an extra long set.