1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

problem with bridge!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bazza99, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bazza99

bazza99

Can anyone advise me with a problem I have re bass bridge. Is there any such thing as a “narrower” bass bridge, ie something like 75mm wide instead of the normal 80mm??

I have just refinished an old Silvertone bass and IMO it looks really good. The problem is that there seems no way to position the bridge where all 4 strings are properly aligned. So, at the moment, the G string starts to veer off course around the 6th fret (see photos). If I move the bridge to the left to accommodate this then the E string will be hanging close to it's edge!!

The only thing I can think of is a narrower bridge (mine is 80mm) OR is there such a thing as an individual saddle that I can put in bridge that is offset a bit so that the groove in it is slightly left, pulling the string with it?? The nut looks OK to me, properly positioned etc.

Any advice appreciated

Attached Files:

2. bazza99

bazza99

Can anyone advise me with a problem I have re bass bridge. Is there any such thing as a “narrower” bass bridge, ie something like 75mm wide instead of the normal 80mm??

I have just refinished an old Silvertone bass and IMO it looks really good. The problem is that there seems no way to position the bridge where all 4 strings are properly aligned. So, at the moment, the G string starts to veer off course around the 6th fret (see photos). If I move the bridge to the left to accommodate this then the E string will be hanging close to it's edge!!

The only thing I can think of is a narrower bridge (mine is 80mm) OR is there such a thing as an individual saddle that I can put in bridge that is offset a bit so that the groove in it is slightly left, pulling the string with it?? The nut looks OK to me, properly positioned etc.

Any advice appreciated

Attached Files:

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

If the bridge is stock, the problem is neck alignment. Move the neck to align the strings.

4. bazza99

bazza99

I don't think the neck is the problem - it's perfectly square and straight!! It's gone back in exactly as before. Any other ideas??

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

If the neck were perfectly square and straight to the body, the strings would have an even margin on both sides of the neck to the bridge.

If the bridge is in fact, not stock and too large, refer to the 96's links.

8. pfox14

pfox14

Looks to me like the OP has it right. The string spread at the bridge is too wide for this neck. All I can suggest is try researching the many bridge makers to see if you can find one that is narrower. Off-hand, I don't know who makes one, but I'm sure it can be found.

9. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

10. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Very odd that the stock bridge doesn't fit properly.

The easiest/cheapest solution I can think of is one of those threaded rod style saddles.

http://www.basspartsresource.com/bass_saddles.htm (top right)

The saddles are just short sections of threaded rod, so you can place the strings in whichever groove you want. The screws are all offset to the same side, while the bridge plate on your has the offsets reversed on two of them. So, you'll probably need to reverse the height adjustment set screws on two of the saddles so that you can put them in upside-down.

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If it's the stock bridge I'd say loosen up the bridge and neck and see if you can't get them to line up better. Is the long axis of your neck running true to the body and is your bridge perpendicular to the long axis of your neck?

Only other thing I can think of is some kind of assembly SNAFU, like the bridge saddles in the sting holes and the strings in the bridge saddle holes.

12. skot71

skot71 Guest

What about using the saddles in that bridge, but putting them in upside down and filing your own slots? Not sure if there's enough room there, but it might be worth a shot.

13. 66Atlas

66Atlas

To answer the OP question, Yes there is such a thing as narrower bridge spacing. It's common on vintage mosites and actually can take some getting used to.

If you bass is what I think it is...It originally came with a more basic bridge with two intonation riders/saddles (ala vintage fender) and did have slightly narrower spacing (ala mosrite). The bridge was probably replaced to give it individual saddles per string and better intonation. You could go with the threaded slider soloution but may find you create a sharp angle from the bridge end to saddle but may work just fine.

14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would get a hipshot bridge with narrower string spacing. The problem with the threaded saddles is they don't work so well for narrowing string spacing, as they tend to push the outside saddles outward and the strings tend to go along their normal path anyway. They are better for going wider and forcing the saddles against each other.

As for flipping the saddles, Im pretty sure the string groove goes all the way around.

15. Bobster

Bobster

bazza99,

If you want to try a replacement bridge. You can check out Song-Il a guitar hardware company based in Korea. http://www.sung-il.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=b071_01

Their stuff is very commonly used. For example Carvin and ESP Ltd use a lot of their stuff.

They have dimension diagrams with the bridges for comparison.

You can purchase some items on Amazon, and eBay, as well as other vendors. They are more widely available in europe.

To start, measure your current bridge from the center of one string to the center of another. That will give you the spacing. Default 4-string spacing is 19mm (.750") but the range is from about 16.5mm - 20mm.

Best of luck,

Bob

16. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

Good catch bobster. I have one of those bridges and it's pretty good, I didn't know the maker. . I also see that they have a 16.5mm spacing available; there may have others too. I didn't look.

The OP should measure the pole pieces of his pups to get an idea of what spacing to look for.

17. Hawkbone

Hawkbone Supporting Member

Did you have the bridge disassembled? If so, perhaps you reversed the strings and saddle screws for one or more saddles. i.e. put strings through the screw holes. What you have done looks ok offhand, but maybe there's another way of assembling the bridge.

18. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Yeah, I'd probably go the same route.

Hipshot offers their A style bridge with 0.718" spacing.

19. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

The neck doesn't seem aligned with either the bridge or the pickup here.

20. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Agreed. I would loosen the strings, then the neck screws then see if I could shift the neck over. I doubt it would have to shift very far.

21. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Off topic, that is a really cool bass. ;)