1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Problem with E string tone on P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nuge113, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nuge113

Nuge113

So this is my first time on talk bass and i wanted to ask about a problem I have been having with my American Deluxe P-bass.
    I usually play with the bridge pick up because when set it to the p-pickups the E string sounds very thumpy and choked compared to the other strings. It has a very loud attack followed by a dull release. Its also a bit quitter and it isn't noticeable when you play open. Any one know how to fix it. Its really annoying.
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

What strings are you using?
    Where is your tone knob set?
    What is the pick up height under the E string?
  3. Nuge113

Nuge113

To be honest I forget what kind of strings they were. But it was a problem with my last set of string too. Its an american deluxe so it has a three channel eq instead of a toneknob and it doesn't matter how its set. I tried adjusting the pickup too, didn't fix it.
  4. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Sounds more like an Eq setting. But... Sometimes a very slight tweak of the truss rod can have a big effect on the tone. More So for the dead notes on the G-String Syndrome but I'd give the truss rod about 1/8 turn just for kicks & Giggles.
  5. kander

kander

I have a similar "problem" if I play with my fingers directly over the pickup (I have a pretty aggressive/strong attack): the sound is slightly overdriven even with my pickups lowered (I installed a Lollar pup in it). I've accommodated to the nuances of my otherwise amazing P by playing the E string in the "sweet spot": just behind the pup, about a thumbs length.
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84

I had this problem before & it was a technique issue. I wasn't plucking the E properly. Practicing my floating thumb technique made worlds of improvement.
  7. Nuge113

Nuge113

Well hey i fixed it thanks for all the responses. Turns out the problem was the position of the string on the saddle of the bridge. On there is kinda like a threading for the saddle with three positions i had it on the middle position and i moved to the one farther away from me. Fixed it perfectly