problem with electronics (please help)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 06jamhob, Dec 18, 2012.

1. 06jamhob

06jamhob

Hi,
    i can't get any sound out of my bass, i think its something to do with the input jack not being connected properly inside but im not sure. can anyone help me fix the problem as i have a bass lesson tomorrow and would rather not have to cancel at short notice. here is a pic;

http://i.imgur.com/ezEsS.jpg

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

1- Up until recently, did this bass work properly?
    2- If it has an active pre-amp, is the battery okay?
    3- You're positive the volume control on the bass is turned up?
    4- Have you tried a different cord to plug into the amp?
    5- Up until recently, did the amp you're plugged into work properly?
    6- Is there a power indicator light on the amp that lights up?
    7- Is there a mute button on the amp that is engaged?

Those are my suggestions off the cuff....

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

It's really tough to troubleshoot sound problems with pictures. No sound at all may mean something is disconnected. I'd poke around looking for broken solder joints. No sound may be a bad instrument cable (try a different one) or amp problem (try another one). Isolate as much as you can - if you can make a different instrument work through the same amp & cable, you'll know that the problem is somewhere in your bass. Identify what is working & keep reducing the rest until you find the trouble.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

Well, your lesson today is right here! It's about what's inside your bass and what it does.

1. First as others have said to fix a bass you FIRST start by isolating the problem. That means you sub cords, amps, preamps, sub the bass itself (or if you don't have a second instrument just touch the tip of the bass chord and see if you get a big hum. Point is to first make SURE that the problem is in the bass and not a cord, amp, speaker, etc.

2. If the problem is in the bass you start as you have by taking the cover off and looking at the wiring. First try wiggling the plug. Can you get a sound in certain positions? If so it may be a jack problem. There are two things to look for inside the the bass. 1. Broken wires. That is wires that are just an end not attached to anything (like say what is that white wire down at the end of the cavity? 2. Shorts. This would be two bare wires that are touching that are not supposed to touch. Both will stop a bass cold. In the second case, shorts, You can plug the bass in and then sort of wiggle the wires a bit in the cavity. If there is a short the bass may turn on and off as you wiggle which it the hint there is a short.

3. If that fails, then you have to start tracing the wires. Start at the jack. In a passive bass there will be two wires to the jack. One is signal and the other is ground. The ground goes to the jack contact that touches the BODY of the plug, while the signal goes to the contact that touches just the knob on the tip of the plug. If there is only one wire going to the jack it means one has come loose. Also look to see if the solder tabs for these wires are touching together. That is a short and will kill the output. Jacks DO fail. Especially side barrel jacks. Hence of all wires seem OK you may need to replace the whole jack (or have someone do it).

4. You should be able to trace wires from the tip of the plug in the jack to the CENTER of the three tabs on the volume control. Turn volume up max and touch that center pin. You should get a loud hum. If you don't there is clearly something wrong between the volume control and the jack output. (by the way it's an output jack not an input jack).

5. if all this gets you nowhere, then you my have a more serious problem like a bad pickup and you'll need to seek more professional help.

Bass electronics Lesson over for today.

PS. if you want help, you need to tell more about the bass and provide a picture where the wiring can actually be seen.

5. Register to disable this ad