1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

problem with endpin on eub

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by ivanfeg, Apr 6, 2014.

1. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Hi all, I believe I've overtightened the endpin. I can't get the ajuster to turn so that I can move it up or down. What could I try to get this thing to budge? Or am I going to have to take it in ? Problem is I can't transport the bass like this.
    Thanks for any suggestions

2. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Show us a picture. There are lots of different fastening systems out there. If it's the most common type, i.e. a thumb screw threaded into a brass collar which fits onto the end of the socket, then I'd say you should unscrew it with a pliers to get everything apart. This will of course destroy the screw and the threaded hole in the collar. But, you can then tease off the collar and take it somewhere (luthier, bike shop, non-bigbox hardware store) to get a new hole drilled and threaded, and get a new thumb screw.

3. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

I'm blind, and have no one around to take a picture. But The bass is the Paletino VE 500, if that helps any.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

My Palatino has two knurled end-pin adjusters about 6.25 inches apart holding the pole, which is 3/4" in diameter. If yours is the same, then you need to loosen both of them to adjust the length, but you probably already know that. If it is truly over-tightened, well, I just checked, and a large vise-grip plier can be adjust wide enough to grip the knurl and provide leverage to turn... If the teeth munch up the adjuster too much, then you can use a file to smooth it out.

If you STILL cannot loosen it, the two adjusters attach to my bass, (and probably yours as well) via a plate with four Phillips head screws... They can be removed from the bass and taken to a shop or someplace to have them worked on.

Hope this helps,

-robert

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Interesting system. I'd like to see a photo. As to vise-grips, you might do better with some channel-lock pliers or an old-fashioned pipe wrench with some thick leather strips to protect the collars. Once you get it loose, maybe just a wee bit of grease on the threads and everything will work fine again.