Problem with fingering...or not?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MrBassManG, Jan 27, 2013.

1. MrBassManG

MrBassManG

Good afternoon all. I'm not sure if I've got a problem or not, so any help would be appreciated. My technique is at best suspect as I don't have time/money for a teacher so everything I do has come from the internet or just playing around, and I have a feeling my explanation might need some patience, so here goes...

I'm currently playing in an originals band, have about 18 months playing the bass. One song calls for me to play this pattern for a few measures to finish the song (not sure of how to describe the timing so won't)

R R R R 5 R R R R R R 3 R 3

alternating between C and G

So I'm guessing the correct fingering would be

2 2 2 2 4 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 1

However when I play it I find I have real difficulty making the jump from R to 5 sound clean, so I end up playing

1 1 1 1 4 1 1 1 2 2 2 1 2 1

Does the fingering really matter if the sounds ok?

After reading that back it seems to make sense to me because I know what I want to say, does anyone else?

Thanks to anyone who bothered to read all that whether you reply or not...

2. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

It's how it sounds dude, not what it looks like. I have some terrible habits and technique in my playing, but I sound good (most of the time lol). Let your ears be the judge, not your eyes.

3. MrBassManG

MrBassManG

Thanks, and I can't fault you on that. The only thing worrying me was if I was developing a bad habit which would cause problems later down the line, for example like learning only to count on your fingers then losing your hands in a freak boating accident, or something...

4. JimK

JimK

Looks like there's an extra "beat" in the 2nd example-
    I assume the above in Bold/Underscore is the "R" (Root)? Are you switching fingers?
    Is there a Rest in there to allows the time to do so?
    Have you tried-
    l1-1-1-1-4-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-1l
    (Bold = Root)
    I guess...McCartney, on those old Ed Sullivan videos, has some painful-looking technique (Fretting Hand issues).
    Somewhere on the Anthology I disc (IIRC, "One After 909") he is whimpering about not having his plectrum...(Plucking Hand issues).
    He made do very well, however. The recordings always sounded great.

That said, from my experience, you may need finger-per-fret for more difficult things...may also help for reading.
    Takes time, though, to feel comfortable enough to use in lower positions.
    As always, YMMV.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I wouldn't worry about technique very much. Everyone's body is different. What works for one person might not work for someone else. What really matters is that you are comfortable, pain free and everything sounds good.

7. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

So true if it sound smooth it is smooth.
    If you want to analyse the fingers then split it up into bars, and see if the lead finger has the lead everytime it changes, so in effect the "one".
    Play it slow and deliberate and let the brain and the fingers work out what finger plays the strong beat and see if the match. If the do fine if they don't then practice alternating the lead finger to get familier with it idea that any finger can lead and any finger can play the strong beat....all music is not straight divisions of four notes per bar.

At some point you are going to have to lead with a different finger, and if you are familier with doing so, then you will not "trip" over your hands trying to always put the lead finger on the beat...any finger can do the job.:D

8. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

I've got small hands so my technique probably looks awful, but since I've been playing for 20 years I can play almost anything.

9. MrBassManG

MrBassManG

JimK, you're right, there's one too many '2's in there (and now duly edited). Yes, the first finger is playing the root but there is no rest. I've got it so it sounds fluid and if we don't have to abide by the 1 finger per fret rule all the time, well, as others have opined, that makes me one happier bass monkey.

Cheers everyone for your replies.

10. Liv3rman

Liv3rman

+1

11. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa