1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

problem with La Bella RX SS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rob_thebassman, Mar 23, 2014.

1. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I got these strings (45 - 105) about a month before getting a cruz tools tech kit and properly set my jazz bass which them on. This kit gave instructions on how to do a basic set up, and now I keep getting alot of fret noise which is starting to do my head in. I also have it tuned to E flat. I've been looking into DR Hi Beams heavy gauge lately and like the sound of them, would these be a better choice for E flat tuning? Or are there better choices for Stainless steels for E flat?

Any advice would be much obliged :)

2. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

You may need to compensate for the Eb tuning with your setup. I find a little added relief and raised action helps with down tuning by balancing the tension.

Or try heavier gauge strings.

3. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I've raised the bridge abit, the noise isn't as bad but I don't like high action. So I'm thinking of getting something with abit more tension or heavier gauge, been looking at dr lo riders for tension and heavy hi beams, I know the hi beams have a low tension but the gauge should make it abit better for my setting.

I have the exact same setting on my p bass strung with la bella flats and had no problem at all

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You'll need to do a truss rod adjustment more than likely to compensate for your tuning.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    what measurement would you recommend?

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I think I'm going to measure it to 1/32" and see if that'll help. The guide with the kit said to measure it to .015"

8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    Right so I've made alterations on the tension and bridge, plays abit better but still get abit of buzz going higher at 12th fret on the E string.. Think I'm going to change strings as I don't want to loosen truss rod too much

9. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Have you checked to see if there are any high frets that could be causing buzz?

10. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I've decided to order some DR lo-rider's 50 - 110, the tension and gauge should help me get my desired setting :)

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Sounds like a setup problem more than a string problem. Any strings you put on will probably do the same thing until it is properly setup.

12. catgut

catgut

I second that. I have no problems with La Bella RX SS. I have a set on right now. No buzzing or intonation problems. Went on after Pro Steels and Sadowsky Blacks all same gauge. Not sure if I like them beyond a solid "OK" but thats beside the point. Honestly for little money you should take it in to a well regarded shop and have them dial in your neck. It was always worth it to me. If they break it it is their fault.

13. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    the bass sounded abit better once I made tweaks to it, but was abit out of my comfort zone playing them with higher action

14. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    well I got my DR lo-riders, popped them on, tweaked the truss rod and set the action on all strings to 7/64, and boom! loads better :D