1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

problem with La Bella RX SS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rob_thebassman, Mar 23, 2014.

1. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Sheffield
    Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I got these strings (45 - 105) about a month before getting a cruz tools tech kit and properly set my jazz bass which them on. This kit gave instructions on how to do a basic set up, and now I keep getting alot of fret noise which is starting to do my head in. I also have it tuned to E flat. I've been looking into DR Hi Beams heavy gauge lately and like the sound of them, would these be a better choice for E flat tuning? Or are there better choices for Stainless steels for E flat?

Any advice would be much obliged :)

2. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    You may need to compensate for the Eb tuning with your setup. I find a little added relief and raised action helps with down tuning by balancing the tension.

Or try heavier gauge strings.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Sheffield
    Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I've raised the bridge abit, the noise isn't as bad but I don't like high action. So I'm thinking of getting something with abit more tension or heavier gauge, been looking at dr lo riders for tension and heavy hi beams, I know the hi beams have a low tension but the gauge should make it abit better for my setting.

I have the exact same setting on my p bass strung with la bella flats and had no problem at all

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

You'll need to do a truss rod adjustment more than likely to compensate for your tuning.

6. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Sheffield
    Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    what measurement would you recommend?

7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Sheffield
    Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I think I'm going to measure it to 1/32" and see if that'll help. The guide with the kit said to measure it to .015"

8. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Sheffield
    Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    Right so I've made alterations on the tension and bridge, plays abit better but still get abit of buzz going higher at 12th fret on the E string.. Think I'm going to change strings as I don't want to loosen truss rod too much

9. JasonLamb

JasonLamb

Aug 17, 2007
    Have you checked to see if there are any high frets that could be causing buzz?

10. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Sheffield
    Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    I've decided to order some DR lo-rider's 50 - 110, the tension and gauge should help me get my desired setting :)

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Sounds like a setup problem more than a string problem. Any strings you put on will probably do the same thing until it is properly setup.

12. catgut

catgut

Jan 15, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I second that. I have no problems with La Bella RX SS. I have a set on right now. No buzzing or intonation problems. Went on after Pro Steels and Sadowsky Blacks all same gauge. Not sure if I like them beyond a solid "OK" but thats beside the point. Honestly for little money you should take it in to a well regarded shop and have them dial in your neck. It was always worth it to me. If they break it it is their fault.

13. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Sheffield
    Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    the bass sounded abit better once I made tweaks to it, but was abit out of my comfort zone playing them with higher action

14. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Sheffield
    Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    well I got my DR lo-riders, popped them on, tweaked the truss rod and set the action on all strings to 7/64, and boom! loads better :D