problem with LDS 1x15 k-140s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by icke2433, Mar 7, 2014.

1. icke2433

icke2433 Supporting Member

This is by no means a bash of LDS cabs, let it be known that they rule and my initial opinion of them is "ridiculously awesome" Anyway...

So after months and months I finally got the cash together to buy a couple of cabs from Don at LDS for my homeless k-140s.
    The cabs came in today and my god they look phenomenal, absolutely amazing. Anyway Don called me earlier in the week to let me know that my speakers might need a tiny bit of modification to fit in the enclosure, something about making the screw holes on the jbls a bit bigger if I remember correctly, he went on to tell me this was common with the speakers.

Is anyone familiar with this? I ask not because I doubt Don but when I was trying to put the speakers in today the screws gave quite a bit of resistance and weren't lining up perfectly and I couldn't remember exactly what his advice to do was and I definitely do not want to screw up my pricey investment with a couple of stripped screw nuts :p

And before anyone asks yes I'm going to shoot him a call tomorrow but I was hoping to get these bad boys flapping tonight.

2. icke2433

Guess Don doesn't take calls on the weekends, bump?

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It's not clear what the problem is, or why there should even be a problem. It's not like Don doesn't know correct spacing etc for k140. It's something you need to sort out with Don.

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Here's what it is. The hole pattern that Don probably used in his cabinets are going to be industry standard (Eminence) Those older vintage JBL Drivers might have the mounting holes in slightly different places. Here's what I would do.

1) If that was the case, and the holes were not close enough too make a clean install I would:

2) rotate the driver on the baffle and drill new mounting holes that fit the JBL's. Then I would use T-Nuts to make it a clean install.

If you aren't sure about doing this or you are fumble fingers with a drill and screw driver lets someone else do it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

JBL recommends using only four screws for mounting speakers. You can read more about this in their Speaker Enclosure Construction Manual (page 5) which is available at their site in the Technical Library.

7. Doug Parent

You might also consider speaker clamps. If you need some I have some I can sell and ship for very reasonable.

8. popgadget

popgadget

Disclosures:
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

9. icke2433

Thanks guys! The weird thing is I got one to mount pretty smoothly, but the second one will only take three screws and the fourth just refuses to go in , it looks like if I opened up the hole on the speaker a little more (maybe a bit less than a milimeter on one side) it would line up nearly perfectly. How bad would it be to go on with just three screws mounted firmly and a 4th fairly firm but not all the way screwed in? How bad would it be to the jbls to open up that fourth screw hole a bit? I guess I can just wait until monday to call him but I was hoping really hoping to just get these bad boys into the practice sessions with the band this weekend.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you have three aligned use a clamp for #4. That should hold pretty well. I too am a little confused. I have used many JBL drivers in my time and have yet to have a problem with mounting any.

11. Doug Parent

I would not *modify* the mounting hole on any driver.

Unscrew all the bolts almost all the way.
    wiggle the driver back and forth until all four bolts drop it.
    tighten each by hand IF all four start to thread in cleanly. NO CROSS THREADING.

If you get this far use a screwdriver to gradually tighten each bolt a few turns and then move to the next. by gradually tightening each one you might get lucky using this method.

If this is a no-go, then rotate the driver and make 4 new clean mounting holes. Are you experienced doing this?

12. icke2433

I may have misunderstood Don, I'll try unscrewing them and screwing them a little bit at a time. Unfortunately I am not, I have changed a few speakers but they have never given me trouble going in. And I had no similar problem with the first cabinet. I'm kind of wary making four new mounting holes as I've never done it before and would not enjoy sacrificing my cabinet to teach myself :/

13. Doug Parent

Probably wise. Drilling a hole dead center through a mounting hole on a speaker frame isn't a no brainer for everyone. It takes patience but you could take some scrap plywood and turn the speaker face down and practice on that until you felt you made all the mistakes possible.

Drilling straight. Make a pilot hole first with a smaller bit, etc etc. I've done it tons of times over the years but there are opportunities for disaster for the novice.

14. icke2433

Actually, I finally got it. Thanks Doug! I ended up running to my local hardware store to pick up four new mounting nuts and they went in no problem, I'll be powering up the svt momentarily and trying out these bad boys

15. Doug Parent

excellent. Exercise some restraint with big lows on those 140's they do not have huge excursion capabilities from what I remember :)

16. icke2433

Will do! Thanks! :D