1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Problem with my Bartolini pups??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zot, Jan 11, 2014.

1. zot

zot

I have a '00 MIM Fender Jazz V that was modded with passive Bartolini pickups. I have heard so many good things about them, but I am completely underwhelmed by the ones that were installed in this bass. Volumewise, they are at least 25% quieter than any other bass that I own. I don't know what exact model that they are, but it seems like all of Bart's 5 string Js should be really good. I was expecting different tonal qualities from a split P but not that much of a volume decrease. I'm not an electronics guy, but I can't afford to have it looked at so I have to try and troubleshoot it by myself. Any suggestions where to start? Could they be wired wrong? just dead, maybe? Help?

2. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Do a search on this. Most Barts are lower output w/o a pre.

3. zot

zot

Thanks! I'm having trouble finding specs for them...Not that I would know how to interpret them Anyway. Thinking about going with Seymour Duncan Basslines Quarter pounders.

4. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Had a similar disappointment with some Bart classics in my fretless jazz. Seemed weak and lifeless. Added a NTBT Bart pre and they came alive. Love the sound and tone - couldn't be happier.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Bart humbucker pickups (side by side internal coils) in a single coil J shell has lower output than a traditional single coil design. Bart's use ceramic blade design, very smooth even response. Your ear may be used to an alnico pickup which has more frequency hype than the smoother flatter Bart. For some this is a plus. Others a minus. Your mileage may vary.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I suggest you get in touch with the folks at Best Bass Gear, if you give them your pickup's model number, they should be able to help you out.

Also, I only have one bass with Bart pickups without an onboard preamp; my Rickenbacker 4001, it sounds good, but I intend to put stock pickups back into it.

I have three other Bart equipped basses that have onboard preamps, and I really love the sounds of all three.

You mentioned your budget's a bit tight, perhaps once you get the schematic you can have a friend who's adept at reading them and handy with a soldering iron help you. Don't feel alone, I'm in the same boat with schematics, and I have zero soldering skills.

Best regards.