problem with my Hohner B2ADB Headless bass-tuners hard to turn.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Just got out my little used Hohner Headless bass.( I haven't had it for long and was a used bass purchase from GC last year.)
    One thing I noticed was that the D and G string tuners on the Steinberger bridge were really hard to turn (and hence tune the bass). Didn't really think much of it as I haven't really had the reason to tune it too much. I did detune the bass several months ago though as I did not plan to use it for a while and wanted less tension on the neck.
    Trying to tune it a few days ago, I realized just how hard it was to turn the knobs for the two strings mentioned above- looked at the screws to see if it was stripped or bent or perhaps needed to be lubricated. Both of them looked fine but I did notice that the washer (I think it's teflon or nylon ) for each string that was put in as a spacer between the knob and the bridge had deteriorated for each of these strings. There were remnants of it still on there and I could see one still on the A string.

I've come to the conclusion (also after reading somewhere in a very vague thread about this issue ) that this little piece is all I need to replace and have ordered some teflon washers similarly sized from an ebay store that stocks these as rc parts.

My question to anyone that has a headless bass with a Steinberger bridge is if they have run into similar issues with very stiff tuners and if the washers (or lack thereof) had something to do with it. It seems too simple of a solution, unfortunately I live in a small town and don't know anyone else with a headless bass to compare.

2. Be_eM

Be_eM

Since you've already ordered replacement washers, you'll soon be able to answer that question :)

Yes, damaged or missing washers have caused such problems more than once. There aren't too many parts involved, so all you could check (which you have already done to some degree) is:

- threads clean and intact? If so, Teflon based gun oil is a good lubricant, I use that on my Steinberger trems as well
    - any dirt within the tuner housing? Depending on the bridge, there may be almost no space between the moving jaws and the tuner housing, and dirt would inhibit movement
    - washers (usually two of them per tuner) intact?

That's it so far.
    Bernd

3. Maxdusty

Thanks for the information Bernd. Hope the washers will fix this problem, somehow I think it will but wasn't sure if there were other parts of the bridge I should look at that may cause the problems. I also cleaned out the tuner housings with compressed air and removed any debris or lint caught on the tuner screw threads. They seem to move fairly smoothly, just hard to tighten each of them by hand once a lot of tension is applied to it.
    I ordered a bag of 20 teflon washers that should fit these for like $3. Guess I'll have a lot of spares.

4. gleneg61

gleneg61

As Bernd said! I've long noticed that the D string was the hardest to tune up on all 3 of my steiny/hohner basses which I put down to that string having the highest tension, on 4s & 5s, headless or headed, although I don't know why that is. If u look at any pack of strings, the D string tension will be listed as the highest but maybe some of our engineer bassist buds can weigh in on why it is so.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Maxdusty

Got the teflon washers in the mail today and it fixed it! Tuners on the headless are smooth and much easier to turn (previously, I had an incredibly hard time getting it in tune and required a screwdriver to turn it the last few times)
    I would recommend anyone with a headless bass to keep some of these washers handy as the washers deteriorate over time. Cheap ($3 for 20 washers) and saved me from taking it to a guitar tech.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201045234295

7. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

Sweet, just ordered some! I hope these fit my Steiny knock off (not licensed, AFAIK),

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

YAY!
    There are a couple of cheapo headlesses here including a "wooden" Steinberger that have the tuning-too-tight issue.

9. Maxdusty

Johnny, twocargar above your post bought some and it works for his steinberger clone bass too. My tuning was so tight on my D and G string, I had to use a screwdriver to tighten it to tune. Really tight and thought initially something inside was bent.
    These washers work extremely well, now it's completely effortless to tune- recommend putting two washers instead of one in each tuner. One works well, putting two in makes it almost frictionless yet it doesn't de-tune. I bought another pack of these washers just as backup and they're so cheap anyway. Here's twocargar's post http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/cheapie-headless-basses-ebay-1046198/index2.html