Problem with the nut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kaszimir, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kaszimir

kaszimir

Hi, I just joined these forums, so real quick let me introduce myself. I've been playing bass for almost 3 months now (yeah I know call me inexperienced and what you want) but it comes pretty easy to me. Anyway, I'm in a bit of trouble. My friends and I want to preform for our school late next month but my A string keeps popping out of the nut. If I play it softly its usually ok (but who wants to do that I mean come on :p). Anyway does anybody have any ideas of how to fix this? Keep this in mind-the bass is about 20 years old and hasn't had its strings replaced...ever...but it is a good bass (Washburn Lyon Series). PLEASE DO NOT turn this into a "you're too young get lessons learn music theory and all this, I'd just like an answer to the question. Thanks :D
  2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You want your A string to come off the tuning peg as low as possible. It's as close to a design flaw as there is on a Fender bass neck.
  3. MVE

MVE Supporting Member

A photo would make it much easier to diagnose.
    The first thing you want to check is the tuning machine. Make sure the string is winding down the post with each turn and not up. If it is winding down, the strings will be tighter against the headstock and naturally pull down harder on the nut.
    If that doesn't solve the problem, you might need to replace the nut. Or if there is enough meat on the nut, you can use a file and make the channel a little deeper.
  4. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

Are the strings wrapped around the tuner pegs right? It sounds like somebody didn't put the end of the string in the peg hole correctly. Players sometimes just bend the end of the string sideways into the peg separation, which does eventually lead to what you've described...whether they wrapped first or not.

If that's the case...unwind, put the tip of the string in the tuner hole..bend it down and start turning the tuner key clockwise, until it's at full pitch.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

photo of headstock and nut needed.

and by the way you're too young get lessons, learn music theory...
  7. kaszimir

kaszimir

8. johnson79

johnson79

Looks like it's time for new strings.
  9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

60 year old Fender issue, this question pops up 10 times a week at least.
    They only fixed it last year with a new string tree.
    Look at the angle of the A string behind the nut compared to the others.
    You want to wind strings down to the bottom of the peg.
  10. 2behead

2behead

from the photo it appears to be exactly what they said. The string was cut a bit too short and didn't wind down far enough..
  11. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

New strings and you want to wind the A string much lower down the tree.
  12. kaszimir

kaszimir

Alright thanks for the insanely quick responses, I'll try tightening it downwards more
  13. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Loosen the string first. Then hold it down near the tuning peg with one hand as you tighten it with the other.