1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

problem with thunderbird bridge! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gmasca92, Apr 9, 2012.

1. gmasca92

gmasca92

Hey there,
    I have this epiphone thunderbird bass and the bridge just got completely pulled off the body because of the string tension.
    The little part where the screws are supposed to go in got out of the wood.
    How should I fix that? I was thinking on using some toothpicks to create pressure on the sides and super glue to keep it there but I'm not sure about that.

Any opinions?
    :help:

Thanks,
    Gabe.

2. Rocky McDougall

Rocky McDougall

Filling the holes with CA and toothpicks is the normal repair but I would also measure and get the longest screws you can find that won't go thru the back.

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have used JB Weld epoxy.
    The stud bushings need to be straight in the body.

4. M.Mannix3

M.Mannix3 Supporting Member

Does your Thunderbird have the Epiphone 3-point bridge?
    My EB-3 does and when I first changed to flats the two rear screws that screw into the metal bits that are pushed into the wood came out, so I super glued them back in. So far it's been smooth sailing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Welcome to TalkBass gmasca92/Gabe

The string tension wasn't most likely the cause for the bridge inserts to pull up, incorrect way to adjust the bridge most likely was.

:confused:

No lifting inserts on mine, but I'd probably use either PVA (white) glue or CA if that'd happen.

Adjusting the "oil-rig" bridge can be a bit confusing at first, but there's a few very good instructionals about it over the 'net. I haven't got one saved, but I'm sure others will post 'em in no time.

Regards
    Sam

7. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke

Had this problem with my Casady, inserts pulling out of the holes. Glued them back in, let dry well, no more problems. Of course I had no holes to fill being it's a hollowbody. Toothpick mod should work fine for the OP.

Finally changed the bridge to a Hipshot Supertone that I like much better than the 3 point.

8. gmasca92

gmasca92

It is the EB-3 . What I did was putting some paper inside the hole and slamming the part that should be inside with a hammer. And yea, I think it was an adjustment problem, I was putting too much tension on the bigger screws instead of leaving them a little looser than the small one.

I think this is going to hold it in there...

Thanks everybody!

9. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

The single front screw should be slightly higher than the two back screws so the bridge is on a slight angle. It should never tilt toward the headstock side. Physics are a biatch.