Problems With Da Funk

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Savaaris, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Savaaris

Savaaris

I have been playing bass for almost 7 years and recently, ive found myself having a hard time writing a certain style of bass playing, i play mostly rock and metal, but i also play jazz and stuff like that, i just have trouble laying down "Da Funk" for my drummer and i to get in the pocket.. What do?

2. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Play on the one. If you wonder if you are playing too much you are.

[​IMG]

3. brianrockwell84

brianrockwell84

Yes.... make sure you always play/land on the 1. Use the pentatonic for fills.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Hitting on the 1 is essential but the funkiest part of the rhythm lies on the ee's and the uh's. (1-EE-and-UH,2-EE-and-UH,etc)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

this

7. M0ses

M0ses

Listen to funkadelic

play like funkadelic

8. dalkowski

dalkowski

Yep. If you do NOTHING else, hit that one with purpose and dedication. And get your hands on a copy of "C'est Chic." Tons of great funk LPs out there that I looove, but Chic's my go-to for solid, economical, reliable funk bass.

9. ahc

ahc

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

11. Savaaris

Savaaris

ahc, that is probably the best video, ever

12. ahc

ahc

It tells it like it is.

13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Listen to a lot of funk, and it will eventually hit you upside the head like a brick. You have to hear it to "get" it. Not all funk lands on "the one" on every measure either. It can be very syncopated. Mother Popcorn lands on the one every other measure for example.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    As mentioned above, listen to some Funkadelic but basically you're gonna have to delve into funk music. It's not just a matter of listening to a few tunes and saying "ok, I got it". You can't fake the funk! Either you got it or you don't! But to get it, take a break from the rock and metal. Diversity is key. Check out the Funk 101, Funk 102 threads. Plenty of examples there.

15. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Listen to as much funk and funk-related music as you can (jazz, blues, old R&B, disco). The funk threads DW recommends above are great resources. If I had to recommend one album to get you started it would probably be the James Brown album "In The Jungle Groove" (though "C'est Chic" is a great suggestion as well).

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hitting on the one is great for some funk styles, but that's way too simplistic an answer for the question asked. OK, so you hit hard on the one, but what do you do for the 2, 3 and 4?

Savaaris, judging from your background, I'm going to guess that you're probably more used to playing on top of the beat or maybe even a little ahead of it sometimes. You may just need to relax and try to play just a little bit behind the beat. Don't slow it down, but funk grooves shouldn't be pushed. Start with very simple lines and get used to the concept. Duck Dunn with Booker T and the MG's, Sam And Dave, Otis Redding, and everyone else who recorded for Stax Records is a great one to listen to for nailing that concept. His grooves weren't particularly hard to play, but the feel he got was sick and dirty.

17. Technicality

Technicality

What the drummer does is really important. If this is one particular drummer you are struggling with it might not be an issue you can solve on your own.

18. Savaaris

Savaaris

Okay, thanks everyone, and you are totally right JimmyM i am used to being directly on top of the beat, creating a sort of drive, and i guess funk is more laid back and theres more to it than i had originally thought, now another thing if all of you could give me some stuff to listen to it would be much appreciated, cause i really wanna dive in to this, i want to "Get" it like Lownote38 said, i will take any suggestions, thanks you guys are the best

19. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Dark Horse strings
    I played "Pick Up The Pieces" in a big band with a bari player who played the part straight up as written.

It was awesome and terrible to behold. :D

It's instructive to listen to Bootsie with JB, where the notes themselves are pretty square but the note placement is what makes it funky.

20. Rev J

Rev J

Since you you classify yourself as a rock/metal guy start with what you know. Maybe go with some funk/metal like Chili Peppers, Infectious Grooves, Faith No More etc. and work your way back. It's interesting that even though this isn't a funk tune I hear an almost funk groove going on in the verses:

The way the bass line and drums work together combined with the rhythm guitar plus the syncopation in the bass line.