Problems With Peavey Bass Head.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rahkshinaw, Jan 26, 2014.

1. rahkshinaw

rahkshinaw

Gday all. I'm new to here but I need some help with a project.

I'm working on restoring and fixing a Peavey Mark VIII Series Bass Head and I'm in over my head at this point. The problem is that the bass head won't turn on. It shows life in flickers and makes a clicking sound. Once I pulled the guts out of the case and plugged the power in, I determined that the clicking noise is coming from the transformer inside.
    There are wires that have the insulation cracked open revealing the wires so I figured that may be the issue but I'm not too sure now since I found out that the clicking was coming from the transformer. The fuse has been replaced so that isn't the problem.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

It could be an internal arc in the windings in which case the transformer is toast.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

In any case, unless you are a certified amp tech, and own all the test equipment needed, what you need is someone who is and does. Seriously, a good amp tech is worth his bench fee for peace of mind alone.
  4. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Best advice when getting a peavey bass: don't get a peavey bass

I'm kidding those amps are great :) I agree it's worth talking to a pro about
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DogBone

DogBone

Contact Peavey, they will help.

PHONE: 877-732-8391(toll free) and ask for repair assistance.
    E-MAIL: repair@peavey.com
    FAX: 601-486-1361
    MAIL: PEAVEY SERVICE CENTER, 412 HWY. 11 & 80 EAST, MERIDIAN, MS 39301

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/repair/faq.cfm
  7. dincz

dincz

You're in Australia, right?
  8. rahkshinaw

rahkshinaw

Thanks for the advice! I'll contact peavey then though this is an old bass head. And no I'm not in Australia. I've lived there in the past.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

You could also PM BbbyBld here on TB, he is in engineering at Peavey and seem always willing to help when he can.
  10. DogBone

DogBone

Can't speak from experience, but I don't think it matters how old your head is, Peavey will still work on it.

Of course being out of warranty you'd have to pay for parts, labor, and shipping, but from what I understand it's all pretty reasonable and pennies on the dollar versus a new amp that may or may not be as reliable as your old school Peavey.

Excellent suggestion.

Props to Peavey for having an actual amp electrical engineer as a fellow TB'er, he has been tremendously helpful in the past (thanks Bobby!). :hyper: