1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Problems with setup in cold dry weather

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SJan3, Jan 27, 2013.

1. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

I am having a heck of a time getting my basses to play well when it gets cold and dry as it is in Connecticut right now. Truss adjustment feels like its about maxed out on both of them. In more moderate weather, they play well but I struggle with them when it's cold. Any thoughts on offsetting the effects of weather would be appreciated..
  2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Get a humidifier going to add some moisture to the inside environment of your house. That will make a big difference, much more so than a few degrees' inside temperature variation.

Lonnybass
  3. mazareth

mazareth

It's very likely that your basses are reacting to the dry indoor air brought on by the winter heating season.

Do an online search for "homemade guitar case humidifier." Make a couple and put them in your bass cases. Store your basses in the cases when you're not playing them. I do this.

The necks on my basses stay very stable. I haven't yet had to tweak the necks on any of my basses since setting them up to my liking. My Birdsong Skyrider is in its fourth winter in Wisconsin and doing fine.

I use cellulose sponges in plastic sandwich bags. Poke a bunch of holes in the bag. Soak the sponge in water, squeeze it out thoroughly, put it in the baggie. Throw it in the case. Check the sponge periodically and remoisten as needed. If the bass necks are very dried out, it may take several weeks for them to get to the proper moisture level. The goal should be to maintain a humidity of 45% - 55% in the case.
  4. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Large package of silica-gel works fine too. You can get those when you buy some electronic stuff. Don't throw them. Put them in the large bag and use them for your guitars. Silica-gel works as humidity absorber when humid, and as humidifier in dry environment.... If you don't have them, you can buy on line (Amazon.com has it)

http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Brand-Silica-Gel-Packets/dp/B000TJMLK4
  5. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Excellent, people! I would love to minimize the neck tweaking. Thanks again!