Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Roko369, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Roko369

Roko369

Hi guys. I have some issues with my bass,Fender 70 Classic Jazz Bass.
    The first problem is that screws which are used to adjust inidividual string height are not fixing properly and are getting loose by themselves after about an hour of playing.
    And there are issues with adjusting intonation properly. Intonation is adjusted right but notes above twelth fret are slightly off pitch. If the truss rod is adjusted to straighten the neck a bit or strings are set a little bit lower, fret buzz appears and the instrument becomes unplayable. I prefer 120-60 gauge strings for drop C tuning.
    What would be Your suggestions for resolwing these issues? :bassist:
  2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Loctite, or nail polish.

You're talking apples and oranges.
  3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Saddle screws moving on Fender bridges is a rather common thing. It's easily fixed by removing the screw and putting a wee bit of either locktite or nail polish on the threads. These will sufficiently "gunk" up the threads to prevent unwanted movement yet keep the screws easily adjustable.

Regarding your intonation, truss rod adjustment, fret buzz issues... these are all easily resolved with a setup. A setup is essentially the procedure in which action, relief, intonation, etc. is properly adjusted. Good information on these topics are available in the stickies section.
  4. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Disclosures:
    Bass player
    Yep first get yourself nail polish & use a little on the thread of the saddles,just a drop will hold it & if you need to adjust it......thats no worries too its not hard to loosen them again afterwards but they wont come loose on their own.
    For intonation the strings may need to be bend over the saddles a little by hand.
    Dont laugh but if the pickups are too close depending on the model that can also screw with the intonation.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

If you go the locktite route make sure it's not the permanent type. They're marketed in two different color tubes, I think you want red.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Blue! Not red!
  8. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

Yes, use blue, not red!!
  9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

also, this is why i like the threaded-rod saddles! when you spread the strings out to line up properly with jazz pickup magnets, the outer saddles press in against the inner ones, holding them all together and preventing any movement (which is what allows the screws to drift out).

+1 to a drop of loctite, though (blue 242, please!)

as for the rest, tuning down to C kinda throws the rules out the window, so a little rattle or intonation issue is par for the course.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yes!

especially with thicker and lower-tuned strings, you have to be sure to "seat" them by pushing on both sides of all the contact points to eliminate any curving and create dead-straight lines at each point.